UKC

Special Six or Mountain Shirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Humm 4395 18 Jan 2013
Hi,

Has anyone got first hand experience of the differences between a Buffalo Special Six and a Mountain Shirt?
I know the hard facts about shape/material etc but would welcome any wearer experiences....Use is for winter climbing/walking and general winter dog walking

Best Regards
 Mr Ed 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Humm 4395:

The only difference I think is the special 6 is a wee bit longer? I've used a special 6 for years. One of the best kit purchases I ever made!

TobyA 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Humm 4395: It always used to be that the Mtn Shirt was Pertex 5 and the Special Six and Big Face shirts were Pertex 6 (slightly heavier, so slightly harder wearing).

If climbing is involved, I'd get the Big Face, they are superb things designed purely with climbing in mind.
 ballsac 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Humm 4395:

from recall - and noting how shit the buffalo website is in telling you differences between the differing garments - the S6 has a heavier and therefore more wind/showerproof pertex, and is about 2 inches longer at the hem.

i would say that the S6 is more geared towards marginally less strenuous winter walking, and the MS geared more towards the mountaineering/climbing/active end of the spectrum. i rather doubt that you'd notice much difference between the two in terms of performance on any given day, but i imagine that the S6 is warmer and more weatherproof in absolute terms.

broadly, i'd have said that the saving incured by buying the MS rather than the S6 would pay for the hood or a pair of mitts and would therefore be the better buy.

on a somewhat windswept hilltop radar station in the Falklands, the S6 and MS - along with the Montane Extreme and the Snugpak shirts - are pretty much compulsory. the choice seems to be purely personal with no real swingers either way - though the Montane became very fashionable, but its shit pockets, chest venting and velcro-tastic map pocket have led to a big dip in its popularity.
 Roberttaylor 21 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Agreed. Best bit of kit ever.
Steve Humm 4395 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor:
Thanks guys ,

I've gone for the Mountain Shirt......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...