UKC

winter coirre, glen clova. in this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 franksnb 18 Jan 2013
do you think winter coirre or coire fee will be in this weekend? how much freeze thaw has been going on up there? more thaw than freeze i would have thought. given the wind direction i think winter coirre could be a good option. Henning if you are there, any thought?
 Michael Gordon 18 Jan 2013
In reply to franksnb:
> more thaw than freeze i would have thought.

More freeze than thaw I'd have thought!
OP franksnb 18 Jan 2013
In reply to franksnb: i mean a few freeze thaws are normally required to form good ice in that glen. recently I don't know if the thaws have been to severe. obviously there is a freeze atm.
 hwackerhage 19 Jan 2013
Hi Frank, it has snowed a lot yesterday and will snow today but the wind is easterly so a lot of snow will be on the western sides which are prone to avalanche. Also in Aberdeen it was 4 degrees yesterday at one stage in the evening so maybe a brief micro thaw at 400 m but overall there was little thaw-freeze, thus:
- There will be little ice due to thaw/freeze but there might be some in places where there is running water as it was cold all week. Impossible to predict diagonal gully and you have to have a very careful look to ensure it is not avalanchy.
- Buttress routes might be OK.
Good luck!
 CMcBain 31 Jan 2013
In reply to franksnb:

Anyone been up winter corrie or coire fee recently, wondering if its worth a jaunt up this weekend
 DundeeDave 31 Jan 2013
In reply to franksnb: was up there last Sunday and it was good. Imagine there will still be enough ice and snow up there to go at this weekend.
 DundeeDave 31 Jan 2013
In reply to DundeeDave: m.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10151448901505482.535150.627015481&type=1&comment_id=28054377&ref=m_notif&notif_t=photo_album_comment&actorid=519661511&__user=627015481
 MG 02 Feb 2013
In reply to franksnb: Does anyone have any updates?
 Brian 03 Feb 2013
In reply to MG: we did buttress route which was in good nick
OP franksnb 04 Feb 2013
In reply to franksnb: had a walk into coire fee on sunday 3rd, look c gully was in poor repair.
OP franksnb 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Brian: well it doesn't look good either now does it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...