UKC

The Wicker Man (original) just started ITV4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 18 Jan 2013
One of the best ever!
 abr1966 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: +1 my favourite film.....seen it so many times i think i know the script!
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: "Himself the son of a virgin, impregnated, I believe, by a ghost... "
 sbc_10 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

In retrospect...it's the arse slappin' scene that sticks in my mind....
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10: I was just remarking on Lindsay Kemp's character's remarkable punchableness.
 Blue Straggler 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

At this moment (spoiled by me writing this post!) there is a lovely thread juxto:
The Wicker Man - Tired Horror Plots - Worst Films Ever

I don't think it's that good, and I have seen it a fair few times and did really like it when I was young and impressionable. It has some great sequences (notably the procession), Woodward is very good, and the ending is undoubtedly powerful, but there is an awful lot of silly padding-it-out, and Christopher Lee is just ridiculous in it, poncing about in a mauve frock and whatnot
 patrick_b 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The ending is incredible though. A lot of the horror films from that era had great endings come to think of it: Wicker Man, Witchfinder General, Night of the Living Dead. All seriously powerful..
Robert Dickson 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: You've got to admit it's a one off, there can't be many folk horror musicals. There may be a reason for this however...
In reply to Denni: I love teh movie, adore it. However, teh scariest thing in it is Christopher Lee's hairdo.

http://www.classichorrorcampaign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wicker-man-...
 Blue Straggler 19 Jan 2013
In reply to patrick_b:

Witchfinder General disappointed me when I got around to seeing it, though it had had many years of build-up so maybe my expectations were too high.

I like The Devil Rides Out a LOT though its ending is not as powerful as it should have been.
There's also a bonkers one called "Scream, And Scream Again" which works really well, not for scares but just for great story structure, as NONE of it makes sense until the end
 Gudrun 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Seen it last night and love it as much now as when i first saw it.There's something about the time it was made that seems a bit more magical and mysterious than these days and this film seems to capture a bit of that.Or it seems to remind me of the seventies,the story obviously but the music,clothes and the i don't know i can't quite explain it.
 doz generale 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: It's hard to believe that it's a hammer film.

The best part of it is the sound track
 Bulls Crack 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) You've got to admit it's a one off, there can't be many folk horror musicals. There may be a reason for this however...

I think Wicker Man teeters on the edge of being dire but just manages to escape!
 Clarence 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

In the Pagan community The (original) Wicker Man is the equivalent of The Greatest Story Ever Told. The Nicholas Cage version is very much below the standard of Life of Brian unfortunately...
 JohnnyW 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Base I know, but I know why I liked it, as an impressionable young lad....
 Bulls Crack 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> In the Pagan community The (original) Wicker Man is the equivalent of The Greatest Story Ever Told. The Nicholas Cage version is very much below the standard of Life of Brian unfortunately...

The Pagan community have no sense of humour?
 Clarence 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Nah they like a good laugh at Nicholas Cage (especially the bees), unfortunately the US based Pagans think that it is a good remake which causes the odd pond war. Actually given the pond wars (fundies vs libruls) over LoB it is pretty similar.
 Bulls Crack 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Clarence:

i meant the original!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...