UKC

winter routes in the lakes for relative beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
loopyone 19 Jan 2013
going to the lakes and looking for some good winter grade 2 routes that can be incorporated into good winter walk for group with some less experienced winter climbers. any suggestions gratefully received.
 Mountain Llama 19 Jan 2013
In reply to tatty112: Great End would be a good choice with various grade II routes, central gully being the longest I think. The approach to the start of the climbs is not to steep either. Beware of avalanche risk after heavy snow. Plenty of scope for a walk if you have time.

HTH Davey
 Jim Lancs 19 Jan 2013
Also beware of windslab avalanche risks if there's been strong winds from any southerly (SE to SW) direction.

Like we've just had.
loopyone 19 Jan 2013
In reply to tatty112: Anywhere where the avalanche risk is minimal?
 Mountain Llama 20 Jan 2013
In reply to tatty112: Custs or window gullys on Great End but if your a bit rusty on avalanche awareness I' d stick to ridges. There are plenty of good winter ridge walks, ie striding and swirral edge via helvellyn summit. Just Google winter ridge walks.

HTH Davey
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2013
In reply to tatty112:

Look to gills and ridges in weather like this. All in the guide.
 LakesWinter 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth: The gills aren't in atm. I was out yesterday. Ridges will be good, try Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday Crag
 Si Withington 20 Jan 2013
In reply to tatty112:

Seconded - the gills aren't properly formed yet. Give them until the end of the week. Pics of Blea Water Gill yesterday are on our Facebook page.

Cheers
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2013
In reply to siwithington: Isn't Dollywaggon Pike famed for easy winter routes?
 Si Withington 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Yeah, it is. Fast approaches and comes in early. However, it's only been cold here for a week really and before that we had the uber thaw, which stripped everything right back. We've also had very little snow, so routes relying on the formation of snow-ice really haven't got anything to work with.

Si
In reply to tatty112:
Newlands Hause

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...