UKC

Is there anywhere as good as Wadi Rum?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 19 Jan 2013
I had an amazing trip to Wadi Rum last Nov and loved everything about it! It was just a perfect trip and now that I'm back it's hard to think of anywhere which could top it or even come close.

I am a relatively low grade leader (VS ish). But what was so great about Wadi Rum was that there were lots of long complex and adventurous routes at that grade and below for us to climb.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anywhere else that might be similar to inspire me for the next trip?
 Martin Bennett 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:

Much as I'd like to have kept it to ourselves for a few more years, the cat's now well and truly out of the bag with the publication of another excellent guide book, so for one who enjoyed Wadi Rum I can wholeheartedly recommend The Anti Atlas mountains of Morocco. Latest guide book is "Morocco Rock" by Emma Alsford and Paul Donnithorne and is bang up to date. Worth mentioning that it doesn't include one of the major valleys - the one first climbed in - for that you'll need "Climbing in the Moroccan Anti Atlas" by Claude Davies, though a new guide to The Ameln Valley is planned for this year I understand.

See you there?
 Bulls Crack 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for anywhere else that might be similar to inspire me for the next trip?

Why not go back?!
OP Elsier 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Thanks my friend had mentioned Morocco, so will have to look into it and will maybe get the guidebook as a starting point. Is there enough easy grade stuff there?
OP Elsier 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I will definately go back, probably next year, but just wanted to know if there was anywhere else as I also really like visiting new places
 tlm 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:

Arapiles in Australia is pretty amazing, although it's a long way away! Climbing of all sorts and at all grades, really interesting routes, with caves, juggy but airy traverses, views of hopping kangeroos, all within walking distance of the campsite.
 Jonny2vests 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for anywhere else that might be similar to inspire me for the next trip?

Climbed in the states much? They're quite good at deserts.
 Solaris 20 Jan 2013
 Robert Durran 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:

No
 tlm 21 Jan 2013
 Jack Geldard 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier: Tafraoute in Morocco might be your type of thing.

UKC info here:

Destination Guide:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3430

Another article:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4974

Thanks,

Jack

Solaris 21 Jan 2013
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Solaris)
> What was your suggestion for a good alternative destination then?

My suggestion? The same as Robert Durran's - based on my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent many happy days climbing in Australia, but if I read the OP's post correctly, she was really wanting routes like the Bedouin ones in Rum and for that, although there's some excellent srambling in the Gramps, I don't think Rum can be beaten. The closest I've had in Australia to what Rum offers was some explorations deep into the heart of the Bungle Bungles but that's much harder to reach than Victoria.

I haven't been to Morocco or Sinai, but there may be comparable days out to be had there.

Presumably you've had the chance to go to Rum...
 tlm 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Solaris:

> I haven't been to Morocco or Sinai, but there may be comparable days out to be had there.
>
> Presumably you've had the chance to go to Rum...

Yes, I've been to Rum (didn't I say that earlier?)

Sinai - we went to St. Catherines, thinking it might be similar to Rum, but it was VERY different! The rock in Sinai is granite, the only guidebook at the time was an Israeli internet guide, and there were NO other climbers there apart from us! The rock was very friable, with great chunks lifting off, as it was very unclimbed and the desert heat/cold had shattered a lot of the rock. It wasn't at all clear how to decend most routes and the surfaces were covered in granite ball bearings.

It was most exciting and enjoyable!

Yes - she said she had enjoyed Rum, but also that she wanted to try other places, which is why I suggested an alternative that I thought she might enjoy, with a lot of excellent routes at her grade. She already knows just how good Rum is! Which I would agree with 100%!!

Solaris 21 Jan 2013
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Solaris)
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, I've been to Rum (didn't I say that earlier?)

Sorry. Yes, you did.
 rpc 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:
Long routes up to VS (~5.7 yds)...Red Rocks outside of Las Vegas would keep you happy for some time I think. Largest concentration of moderately rated multipitch routes in the US that I can think of (mostly trad at those grades). Even some descents down overgrown gullies & washes can have that Bedouin route flavor to them.
 andy p ross 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier: Agree on the Morrocco stuff for the adventure/culture stuff and cheaper too. But for something more on the beaten path, Red Rocks near Las Vegas is a paradise for long routes at your grade.
 Martin Bennett 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Elsier:
> (In reply to Martin Bennett)
>
> Thanks my friend had mentioned Morocco, so will have to look into it and will maybe get the guidebook as a starting point. Is there enough easy grade stuff there?

Yes, lots and lots of climbing from V Diff up, single pitches to 10 pitches or more, as well as untold opportunities for new routes at all grades and new crags to be discovered.

Further away and therefore more expensive is Red Rocks, Nevada - a bit more conventional though, in that it has lots of fixed gear, is relatively well known and frequented, and has luxuries like rescue facilities . . . I'll be returning but not before my fifth trip to Morocco!

OP Elsier 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Great, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will definately look into Morocco and Red rocks!
In reply to Elsier:
Morocco info is online at http://www.climb-tafraoute.com
Red Rocks looks great too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...