UKC

3 Peaks Rage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HUG36N 20 Jan 2013
HI. First Post:
I've just taken over the organisation of a mountaineering club at a school, whose aim is to get the older students involved in the outdoors. In previous years they have done the National 3 Peaks and raised a bit of money, but I bloody hate that idea.

It's probably an age-old discussion but as I'm new, cut me some slack. The kids think it's really prestigious and some like the idea, but I'm determined to move them on to something else, primarily because of the time wasted driving across the country.

Any ideas for an alternative but equally challenging walk, completed over a weekend involving steep ground and sapping some stamina? Lakes or Snowdonia would be fine. Yorkshire 3 Peaks, I think, doesn't expose them to the best of the mountains in the UK (Prepared to be shouted at on this one!)

Thanks
 KeithW 20 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:

Welsh 3000s would be the obvious choice, possibly in stages or relay if the kids aren't up to it all at once.
 Banned User 77 20 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:

1000m peaks of wales... You'd need a solid navigator or guide..

Carneddau 4000ers.. You'd need a good navigator or guide..

Banned User 77 20 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Just to add welsh 1000m peaks and welsh 3000ers are different challenges..
 Peter Walker 21 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to HUG36N)
>
> Carneddau 4000ers.. You'd need a good navigator or guide..

Unless I am missing something, wouldn't that also need an awful lot of earth moving equipment?
In reply to Peter Walker:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Unless I am missing something, wouldn't that also need an awful lot of earth moving equipment?

There's the Lakes 3000s as well or maybe a coast to coast of some sort - Dart to Exe, Dragon's Back, that sort of thing.

ALC

In reply to HUG36N: I would say the Yorkshire 3 peaks. easier to plan and better logistically and environmentally than the National 3P
 Banned User 77 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Peter Walker: Oops yeah.. cairngorm.. very similar..
 Chris the Tall 21 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:
Welsh 3000ers - did it at school myself.

3 peaks of Yorkshire would make for a good test event for it.

3 peaks of GB involves spending more time on the roads than on the hills, so is pointless
 peteJ23 21 Jan 2013
Snowdon
Slieve Donard
Carranthohill

in 24 Hrs

Just a thought don't know if its possible
Probably as much fun to be had planning it as doing it
less driving than 3 peaks..(just) but much more adventure
start in Kerry and finish in Llanberis?

Good luck
 Dauphin 21 Jan 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Just follow the crocodile of sponsored suckers any summer weekend...It has 1/10 appeal as a mountaineering challenge. Easy way to keep fit without a map.

D
 gunbo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N: could do stages of the West highland way or the Great glen way see some stunning views.Shoulkd try doing tyndrum to the kings house hotel in one go thats hard going twenty two miles if memory serves.
Wiley Coyote2 21 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:
Speaking as a proud Yorkshireman the Yorks 3 Peaks could put them off the hills for life. It's rubbish. Way too much dreary bogtrotting, especially between P-y-G and Whernside. I did it once and, much as I love the Dales, ...
Removed User 21 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N: Haven't read all the posts, but if it hasn't been suggested already how about the Wasdale horseshoe?

BTW well done for rejecting the 3 peaks, it's a horrible valueless event.
 Philip 21 Jan 2013
Why not do the three peaks over 3 trips, building skill, learning about the three areas and not worrying about the driving.
 Foolow Mike 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:
How about the Sierra Nevada big 3: Mulhacen 3482m, Alcazaba 3364m and Veleta 3396m?
All "non technical" walking peaks in summer conditions.
 Leeds Andy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:
I'd echo the voices congratulating you for trying to get them off the national 3 peaks.

Like others I'd say the Welsh 3000's (proper tough challenge) and add the Lakes 3000's

There is a bit more information about both (as well as the Yorkshire 3 peaks) here

http://lupineadventure.co.uk/sponsored-events.html

Good luck

Andy
 deanr 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N: How about 10 highest mountains in the Lake District - Pillar, Great Gable, Scafell Pike, Scafell, Great End, Bowfell, Nethermost Pike, Helvellyn, Catstycam and Skiddaw

or 3 Peaks challenge, but pick 3 different Peaks in each region eg Bidian nam Bian, Helvellyn Tryfan?
 Banned User 77 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy: I think the welsh 3000ers may be too much.. unless experienced fit walkers who have head for heights..

The Welsh 1000m peaks is less serious and achievable.. still a good 10-15 hrs for most fit people.. I've taken groups over it in 16 hrs, but ran it in 4.. without the new one though..

The 3000ers is also much more weather dependent.

Banned User 77 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N: The other one is the welsh 3 peaks..

Snowdon.. Cader.. Pen Y Fan..

You can cycle between too to make it more of a challenge, in one day, or over 2 is probably preferable.
 MG 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:
> HI. First Post:
> whose aim is to get the older students involved in the outdoors. In ...
> Any ideas for an alternative but equally challenging walk,

Just a thought, but if you are trying to get students involved in the outdoors, is it wise to go for a huge challenge. Couldn't this well put them off if there are blisters or exhaustion etc? Or is this the culmination of other events?
AWR 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HUG36N:

If it's a fundraiser, why not look at the 10 Tors? It fixes you to a certain weekend but it's a good un!

If it's to get them into the outdoors long term, why not just take them out into the hills a couple of weekends a month for a nice chilled out 'grown up' weekend's hillwalking? Much more likely to get the bug that way rather than getting thrashed up and down a challenge route...
 Wainers44 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MountainsAreBetterThanOffices:
> (In reply to HUG36N)
>
> If it's a fundraiser, why not look at the 10 Tors? It fixes you to a certain weekend but it's a good un!
>

Fantastic challenge all right, but unless you are local and the organisation has a track record in the event it may take many years of applications to get in.

Dont underestimate the appeal of the wildcamping bit. Find a walk including that and you wont need to walk them that far for it to be a real adventure.

HUG36N 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip:
> Why not do the three peaks over 3 trips, building skill, learning about the three areas and not worrying about the driving.

Like that idea, thanks.
HUG36N 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy:
> >
> Like others I'd say the Welsh 3000's (proper tough challenge) and add the Lakes 3000's
>
Cheers - This will be too much for them, for me to know they are fit enough. There won't be enough leaders for the dropouts, especially if the weather's bad. It's a gruesome but brilliant challenge!
HUG36N 24 Jan 2013
Thanks for your ideas (and support of the principle)

The event is the culmination of other things, perhaps including some or all of Yorks 3P as training and most will have done lots of outdoors stuff already. Will consider:

Snowdon Horseshoe,
10 Tors
National 3P in 3 different (long) weekends
Alternative National 3P (Did Y Garn, Helvellyn and Buchaille Etive Mor once, twas awesome) But this is still driving-heavy

What about Lakes 3000s cycling between the peaks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...