UKC

Driving around the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just found out I have the day off. Thinking of heading into the Peak, anyone successfully driving around? How are the major roads?
Thanks
 simonukcH3Dw 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Guess it all depends what you're driving
In reply to simonukcH3Dw:

Ford focus with snow chains.
Pete Tapping 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: Try our local weather site: http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/
 Swig 21 Jan 2013

Looking at the main road through Hope and cars are passing albeit with care.

Not many cars on the road. Schools are closed so loads of people will be pinned down by that.

If you've got chains you'll be able to get around - unless you end up behind a column of traffic without.
 ChrisJD 21 Jan 2013

Been out on bike along Hope Valley, main roads are passable with care. Very few cars about. Schools closed. Side roads fully snowed and anything with a bit a bit of gradient may be trickier.

If you know how to drive in snow, you'll be fine.
 ChrisJD 21 Jan 2013

Peak roads this morning. Roads are getting much better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81dxekxsq9zdmk3/Bike.jpg
In reply to ChrisJD:

That must have been hard work.
 ChrisJD 21 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Actually is was great and got a fair lick on (just rode to work and back to pick up some files).

Big volume tyres with low pressure helps.

Did get some funny looks though (especially later when I whizzed down the village sledging slope a few times)

grithugger 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: just been on Kinder from Hayfield,main roads clear,side roads are ok.best parking at the council carpark though(unless using chains).about 8 inchs of snow on the tops drifts upto foot and a half,turf is well frozen.not so much ice though,snow is very fine powder pretty easy going would be good touring on planks should be just enough covering i think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...