UKC

Training supplements (ZMA)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 21 Jan 2013
I'm currently training and trying to develop a strength/power base (before cycling on endurance and power endurance.

Training consists of free weights at the gym, hard bouldering and campus/finger board and core works out. I take protein shakes after work outs but don't use any supplements (other than codliver oil)

I was wondering if anyone uses or has had an experience with ZMA? Apparently can help with recovery as it boosts your natural testosterone cycles (while you're sleeping) so muscles repair ...better?

Anyway...seems logical. As I know your testosterone cycles naturally spike during sleep, so makes sense to supplement...but my knowledge is pretty slim apart from that. Snake oil or quick fix for massive gains?
bigalg2002 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:
Dont know about your specifics ie your age, sex and body type but I do take zma when hitting the weights hard also some casein protein before bed, the zma does seem to give me a much deeper sleep so I would get to bed early unless u can have a lie in .
 dale1968 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemicson't know if you have read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMA_%28supplement%29
 muppetfilter 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: The science employed in most of these supliments is from the same people that develop hyper mega protein hair nourisment-ness fruit acid complexes... Talking to a nutritionist friend the only outcome of most protein insult based regiemes is a massively increased likelihood of kidney stones and the gravel pissing pain that entails.
A well balanced diet coupled with a correctly designed training regieme is better than any snake oil pill.
OP Kemics 21 Jan 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:

wow that Wikiepedia link is pretty damming. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it's a dodgy supplement developed by victor conte. He's hardly got an exemplary record. Okay, so ZMA is out of the cart.

Surely whey protein has positive effects and isn't just a kidney stone creation aid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...