UKC

Aurora Borealis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 21 Jan 2013
Wow! What a sight!

I was on a skiing holiday in Lapland last week and got an incredible sighting one evening.

I was also surprised at the quality of the downhill skiing - not the length and size of the Alps. A bit like Scotland in terms of length and variety, but on a superb deep snow base and almost empty floodlit pistes. Bitterly cold though and you have to not mind drag lifts.
In reply to Trangia:

Any pictures? I've been contemplating going to Tromso this year specifically to see the lights.
OP Trangia 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

Unfortunsately not. I've only got a simple compact. To get good pics you will need something like a 10 second exposure camera and a tripod.
 RichardP 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:
Thanks for bringing the snow back with you
TOS 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

What type did you see?

The large bands of green that move very slowly...

Or the mix of greens and reds that clearly move fairly quickly?
 yeti 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

aye, seen it once on the plane back from a day trip to iceland...

great to see it for real
OP Trangia 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Gaupa:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> What type did you see?
>
>

Mainly the wavy bands of green which moved slowly from east to west over a period of 7 minutes with intermittant streaks of red and yellow included . These were preceded by a hallo of white.

Absolutely stunning to watch
Slugain Howff 21 Jan 2013
In reply to :

Lovely display in Scotland last week.....

S
In reply to Trangia:

Ah well. I don't know anything about photography but would have been good to catch. Made up you got to see them.
 TobyA 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

> I was also surprised at the quality of the downhill skiing - not the length and size of the Alps. A bit like Scotland in terms of length and variety, but on a superb deep snow base and almost empty floodlit pistes. Bitterly cold though and you have to not mind drag lifts.

Which resort were you at? "Lapland" covers four different countries!
 d_b 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Nice one. I have only ever managed to see it once, and that was from the A66!
 NottsRich 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to )
>
> Lovely display in Scotland last week.....
>
> S

Where abouts?
Douglas Griffin 22 Jan 2013
In reply to NottsRich:

Shetland, Moray Coast, Fife and probably a few other areas as well. Last Thursday night.
 AG 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia: saw them in Bjorkliden few years ago . They were out every night for the week. Yet to see them in scotland though.
 Darron 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

I've seen them in Cheshire! Full show, red and green shimmering curtains. In July 2000.
OP Trangia 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Yllas, Finland

Apparantly they came out a couple of nights later, but we were asleep!
TOS 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

I saw them at the seafront at Stonehaven end of last year, the forecast wasn't that strong either.

If you know it, the Cairn O'Mount road is a good spot on a clear night - very little light pollution up there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...