UKC

Ecrins Huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Woodsy75 21 Jan 2013
I'm hopefully off with a mate for a few days at the start of september. Anyone any experience staying here at the huts and do you need to book in advance.

First post so be gentle...
 Martin Haworth 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Woodsy75: Some huts close first weekend in September but they have winter rooms. Most of the more popular huts will be open and you only need to book while you are out there so they know how many people to cater for.
I think it is a great time to go, where exactly are you heading, which routes do you have in mind?
hnmisty 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Woodsy75:
HA! Just sent you an email as I too am a new user and wasn't able to reply to this until just now!

I basically said...there are plenty of small huts (lots of them look like old Anderson shelters) that you can just turn up to. They're unattended, just marked on the map as a refuge, so you can turn up whenever- as long as they're not already full. Not much way of telling what they'll be like until you turn up. I've seen some that can take about 10 people, water trough outside, maybe a picnic table...ranging to tiny little huts that time seems to have forgotten.

As mentioned, you can book for the bigger ones, and it's probably wise to do if you're going at a busy time of year. They're run by the club alpine Francais. http://www.ffcam.fr/

Happy adventuring!
 JamButty 21 Jan 2013
In reply to hnmisty:
> (In reply to Woodsy75)
> HA! Just sent you an email as I too am a new user and wasn't able to reply to this until just now!
>
> I basically said...there are plenty of small huts (lots of them look like old Anderson shelters) that you can just turn up to. They're unattended, just marked on the map as a refuge, so you can turn up whenever- as long as they're not already full. Not much way of telling what they'll be like until you turn up. I've seen some that can take about 10 people, water trough outside, maybe a picnic table...ranging to tiny little huts that time seems to have forgotten.

Agree - I've stayed at a couple of the huts below Pelvoux and we were the only ones there. One lesson though - don't rely on the guidebook to get you there as us donkeys did - searching in the dark for a snow buried hut with no lights took us 2 hrs. Get a grid and your map (seems obvious now!)
>
>
> As mentioned, you can book for the bigger ones, and it's probably wise to do if you're going at a busy time of year. They're run by the club alpine Francais. http://www.ffcam.fr/
>
> Happy adventuring!

John Ww 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Woodsy75:

How about contacting the Beaureau des Guides des Ecrins (www.guides-ecrins.com)?

They've an office (albeit a little one) in Vallouise (which may only be manned as the winter ends)but I'm sure they'd give you the info you need.

HTH,JW
Woodsy75 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Haworth: Thanks Martin really helpful. I should have said I've already been out but got caught in some rough weather so don't fancy taking a tent again due to the extra weight. Heading for the Barre itself then whatever else we may have time for. I bought the "Snow and mixed Climbs" guide book which has lots of routes in but after last time I know it will all depend on the weather!
Woodsy75 21 Jan 2013
In reply to hnmisty: Many thanks! The site you posted a link on is very helpful! Technology eh!! What a pain
 Martin Haworth 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Woodsy75: The Ecrins hut and the Glacier Blanc hut will both be open at that time of year. If you want any more info or details on other possible objectives out there just email me.
Rob Stratton 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Haworth:
I was out there in September. As per previous messages, I think you'll find some huts open weekends, and others will have winter rooms, asking for a small donation. The tourist office in Briancon had a list of numbers for all the huts if you're struggling. They might well email it to you if you call them. Good luck.
Rob Stratton 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Woodsy75:
I was out there in September. As per previous messages, I think you'll find some huts manned at weekends, and others will have winter rooms, asking for a small donation. The tourist office in Briancon had a list of phone numbers and some info for the huts if you're struggling. They might well email it to you if you call them. Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...