UKC

suspiciously good Iphone deal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 21 Jan 2013
http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/apple_iphone_4s/?gclid=CLOo1aO9-rQCFYL...

Free phone
unlimited text/calls
1 gb data
24 month contract

£26 a month?

Seems miles and miles better than any comparative deal. It's also about £10 cheaper a month than o2 offer direct...and they want you to pay for the handset!

Is this really legit...just seems too good to be true?
 Nigel Thomson 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: Sounds about right. You can get an iphone5 with the sma package for around 40 bangers.
 Alpenglow 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: Maybe it's so cheap as you're tied in a contract for 2 years.

BR
 butteredfrog 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

It will be +VAT as well!
OP Kemics 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

a bit of googling shows some pretty horrendous customer service, plus weird hidden charges....guess it's to be expected....but it's so cheap! curse my stinge, im still tempted.

It's with Dial-a-phone (the company) they arn't well reviewed.
 balmybaldwin 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

I recently used one of these companies (affordablemobiles.co.uk) after reviewing all the deals on here: http://www.moneysupermarket.com

I wasn't after an iphone as I had a recent warranty replacement on an android phone, and quite fancied a deal with a cheaper tariff, and a free gift (android tablet).

Stupidly I didn't really look at the reviews, and instead trusted money supermarket (mistakenly thinking it was moneysavingexpert.com).

After completing the purchase on line, I then for some reason googled Affordable mobiles, and the reviews were horrendous, especially relating to free gifts, customer service etc.

I therefore panicked that I'd been done, the cheap phone turned up the next day however, along with a note saying the free gift would be dispatched in the near future. (exactly as predicted in the poor reviews)

A week more panicking, and deliberately not opening the seal on the phone or simcard in case I needed to appeal to Orange, and to my surprise my tablet turned up.

Therefore I cannot fault this company, and yours may well be fine too. I remember looking into the company and finding it had been taken over a year or so ago (I forget who by) and I think most of the poor reviews related to the previous management. However, not knowing what deal you are looking at, I would strongly advise against any deal that reduces the line rental via cash back, as this seems to be the source of a lot of the bad reviews, and you have to be very on the ball and diligent to get all of your cash back redemptions (like sending in your 3rd, 5th, 7th bills along with appropriate voucher and waiting for a cheque).

On the face of it my deal was too good to be true, but was - "Free" phone - cheapish android smart phone, Good Tariff deal (for me) 900mins, unlimited txts, 1GB data, and a Sony Xperia Tablet S for £23.50pm (no cashback) 24month contract.

Remember only people who have bad experiences are more likely to put up reviews than those where it went as expected.

If you are just going for a phone and contract, there is little they can do wrong other than not send you the phone, or put you on the wrong tariff, both of these things can be resolved with the phone company's assistance (and use of the sale of goods act)

balmybaldwin 21 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Oh, and read the fine print really well before you commit...

I take it it's this deal:

Second down: http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/aw2/offer/24O2011706/

As I said above avoid the redemption ones, and pay any initially fee with a credit card, and make sure it's direct debit for the rest - gives you further assurance if it does go belly up
OP Kemics 22 Jan 2013

that's great. thanks for the advice. yeah I wouldn't do a cashback one again as it was nightmare. I managed to stay on top of it, but had to send repeated letters/copy of bills. Then phone up to get a call reference number and get them to admit they had received it. Would then try to say they hadn't etc.

I think I might go for it as i'm just after a handset on a basic contract.
 EeeByGum 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: Be warned. I got my wife a cheapo deal for Christmas. The sting in the tail was that she couldn't transfer her number which naturally we found out after our 14 day cooling off period had expired.
 balmybaldwin 22 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Kemics) Be warned. I got my wife a cheapo deal for Christmas. The sting in the tail was that she couldn't transfer her number which naturally we found out after our 14 day cooling off period had expired.

This is done by the phone company not the retailer, and shouldn't be a problem if you have the code from your old provider
 EeeByGum 22 Jan 2013
>
> This is done by the phone company not the retailer, and shouldn't be a problem if you have the code from your old provider

True, but when you are buying a phone as a gift for someone else, you don't want their phone to strangely stop working 2 weeks before Christmas. I have used many budget PAYG providers and none have had problems changing a number at any time. Why this is an issue for Talk Mobile is beyond me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...