UKC

Military bergen as a rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
readysalted 22 Jan 2013
Hi there,

I have had several rucksacks by coleman, regatta, vango, lowe alpine, and the north face. Most are good (with the exception of the coleman one which was shit). I've also had an olive green PLCE ex army bergen for about the last 10 years. I'm in the military and am fairly accustomed to carrying these so always find them quite comfy, but I was looking for a decent 50+ ltr rucksack, and was liking crux rucksacks. I am a fan of their simplicity, apparent quality, and the fact they dont have a million seperate pockets, they're just one sack, and a lid. Anyway they seemed expensive for what they are, and then I remembered in my cellar was one of these bergens, and having brought it up apart from it's rather fousty smell, it's in very good nick, albeit missing the zips and straps which I must have chopped off a while back to make it lighter/ less annoying.

Just wondering if anyone uses these or whether the general consensus is that for a decent rucksack you have to spend 150 quid on a deuter or osprey one?

Don't know how much these cost on ebay nowadays, but surely not much, and for a really tough old rucksack with a decent capacity it's got to be good value, but will the mountainside fashion police consider you an outcast forever if you're seen with one?
 TrollJester 22 Jan 2013
If it's comfy and does what you want, then use it! But are you yomping about the hills with enough gear for 5days??? In summer for hillwalking I use a 25ltr daysack, in winter or for going rockclimbing or mountaineering I use a 35-40 and most of the time I could get away with a 30-35 ltr sack. Hey-ho each to his own
Oh, and screw the fashion police!
 sbc_10 22 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted:

This is a decent sac and is not as razzle-dazzle as the top end products,
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...
it will probably outlast the competition as well.
ice.solo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted:

for serious loads bergens are good (getting stuff into a basecamp, hauling gear to the start of a route), but for onthe go, you can shed a lot of weight by using an alpine pack. in summer half your weight carried could be just the pack...

id keep it, because for something like a week of climbing based out of a bothy or such, it will haul 30kgs of food and fuel far better than any alpine pack will. then take a light pack for the actual climbing.

prices? yep, a decent true alpine pack (ie one not covered in gimmicks and claiming 'alpine' because it has an ice axe loop) will cost from that upwards (check out cilo packs if you want to feel good about laying down 'only' 150 quid).

regardless too, the fashion police will get you in the end. they always do.
 Jonny2vests 22 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to readysalted)
>

> id keep it, because for something like a week of climbing based out of a bothy or such, it will haul 30kgs of food and fuel

I reckon you must be a big lad.

ice.solo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:

nah, im all string and wood - i just always end up carting shit loads of f*cken gear
In reply to readysalted:

i have a infantry bergan too mate with side pouch and its fantastic for hauling sh*t loads of gear! but i a fairly long tab at the beginning of last year in scotland (100 miles in 5 days) solo and self supported carrying all my food, fuel and basher.
i think if i didnt have my lowe alpine applachian my back would have been in a worse nick that it already is! the support from it is great and its fairly light for a 70+L pack, also the things like its water proof and has a rain cover which was great in the snow! my bergan would have been drenched and its got a 5p sized hole running straight through the accessary pocket at the front out the back means it probably not water proof.
my opinion mate - pick up a cheap pack (last seasons lowe alpine, deuter, osprey etc, from ebay or Go outdoors) and save the bergan for the sh*t its ment to carry, your back will appreciate it
 neuromancer 22 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10:

It's still over a hundred quid.
ice.solo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted:

I might add the bergens ive used are from crib gogh. Very good if you can find them.
 martinph78 22 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted: It's comfortable, you are used to carrying it, and it's not going to cost you a penny. I'd use the Bergen.

Who cares about the fashion police? Do they exist outside Keswick High Street?

My mate uses a very large pack for everything. Not ideal but it's what he has (and needs for a lot of stuff he does). He cinches it down as much as possible for use as a day pack, and it is comfortable. Doesn't spoil his day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...