UKC

I just bought my first ever Kindle book for 20p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 22 Jan 2013
Have I just stepped onto a slippery slope that a dyslexic rodent can never step off?

I've never even read anything on a kindle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Facts-Blow-Your-Socks-ebook/dp/B009FQSICM/ref=sr_1_...
Tim Chappell 22 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

The real trick is, to buy only things that cost nothing at all

I've got Dickens, George Eliot, Victor Hugo, and Jane Austen on my kindle, all for diddly-squat. Plato , Aristotle, Aquinas, Kant, Locke, Descartes and Bentham too, but I grant you they're special equipment.
OP The Lemming 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I'll let you into a secret, I can count on one hand every book that I have read from cover to cover. Every other book has been the type with pictures and such like that can be picked up and thumbed through to get to the good stuff. An example would be a climbing guide book or Munros bagging book.

I seriously am dyslexic and reading really is painful, which is why I prefer reading guides and manuals which take only a few pages to impart knowledge and informtion.
 Enty 22 Jan 2013
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> The real trick is, to buy only things that cost nothing at all
>
> I've got Dickens, George Eliot, Victor Hugo, and Jane Austen on my kindle, all for diddly-squat. Plato , Aristotle, Aquinas, Kant, Locke, Descartes and Bentham too, but I grant you they're special equipment.

Shackleton's South - one of the best books I've ever read - FOC

E
Banj 22 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Kindle will read your books to you. (At least some models will)
Also on the free list, Alexander Dumas, Rudyard Kipling, Jack London ...
In reply to Enty:

I now have my second book.
 Philip 22 Jan 2013
Dan Brown books are suitable for dyslexics as they make no f**king sense if you can read.
In reply to Banj:

Really?

How does that work?
 Philip 22 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It's crap though, it pronounces syllables not words so a lot of things sound awkward.
Tim Chappell 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip:

I was about to say-- I really don't want someone else reading things for me. Because face it, s/he isn't going to read it out loud as well as I'll read it in my head. Someone else's voice is just going to get in the way.
> (In reply to Philip)
>
> I was about to say-- I really don't want someone else reading things for me. Because face it, s/he isn't going to read it out loud as well as I'll read it in my head. Someone else's voice is just going to get in the way.

Some voices are cool though. Tom baker has a voice that i'd rather listen to than my own inner monologue.
KevinD 22 Jan 2013

> Someone else's voice is just going to get in the way.

its not really someones voice either. Very mechanical from what i recall.
the sort of thing ok reading out a text message but not for a proper book.
 Tom Valentine 23 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I paid 20p for Jim Perrin's Essays following a UKC post. Arf arf.
 Clarence 23 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> its not really someones voice either. Very mechanical from what i recall.

I was listening to a book on my kindle which included a rather lurid sex scene when I was overheard by one of my colleagues. He immediately started a rumour that I was Stephen Hawking's secret lover...
Banj 23 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I've never actually tried the Kindle voice thingy, I've thought it may be better to use it instead of reading at traffic lights but everywhere else, the slow pace would drive me crazy.
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> [...]
>
> I was listening to a book on my kindle which included a rather lurid sex scene when I was overheard by one of my colleagues. He immediately started a rumour that I was Stephen Hawking's secret lover...

Hilarious!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...