UKC

Cairngorms recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cadairmanuk 23 Jan 2013
Good morning people.

I'm going up to the cairngorms next month and I'm after some recommendations on routes to do. I'm staying at the Cairngorms lodge by loch morlich and its my first time on that side of Scotland. So im looking for must do grade 1's 2's and possibly a 3 if I get warmed up. I'm not a big fan of gullies I prefer a bit of mixed really scrambley type ridge routes, but saying that I don't want to miss a classic if its going. For example Bristly Ridge in winter maybe a tad harder is my cup of tea just to give you an indication.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Ben
 Mark Wilson23 23 Jan 2013

In reply to Cadairmanuk: Any grade I II IIIs in Coire an t'Sneachda, great place to cut your teeth on a first visit to the Cairngorms.
Give the Runnel a look

Mark
 Mark Bull 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

> I prefer a bit of mixed really scrambley type ridge routes

The Northern Corries don't have a lot to offer in this style of route, apart from Fiacaill Ridge. If conditions allow, Lurchers Crag and Sron na Lairig have more ridgy type routes. The East Ridge of Beinn a'Chaorainn is good value and within a reasonable drive time.
OP Cadairmanuk 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Thanks people they look like just what I'm after.

Need to purchase a map too. Harvey's ?

Ben
In reply to Cadairmanuk: Unfortunately the one thing the 'gorms doesn't really have is easier ridges.

The easiest buttress route to get you started is probably Jacob's Edge 110m II * on the Mess of Pottage.

I'd also perhaps look at Coire an Lochain as it has some fine open buttress climbs. The Milky Way 100m II/III ** is probably the easiest of the better non-gully routes in the Northern Corries. You then have Ewen Buttress 90m III ** and Sidewinder 100m III,4 ** which are both very worthwhile.

If you want proper 'ridge routes' then other than the fun but extremely escapable Fiacaill Ridge, they are few and far between. The only one that springs to mind is Angel's Ridge 300m I ** on Sgor an Lochain Uaine which is fairly easy.
PS If you need a guidebook I've got an unused copy of the latest SMC Cairngorms guidebook available for £18 posted.
OP Cadairmanuk 23 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Thanks mate will just check with my partner think he has a guide.

Will ice screws be required on these routes , I don't have any only used other peoples and normally unscrewing lol as a second.

Ben
 heavy 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Be aware that Angels ridge takes you up to a huge plateau as difficult as the Cairngorm plateau but more remote. This is where navigation will be essential if the weather is poor. I would not be wary of this choice of route in poor conditions.

Take care!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...