UKC

Mayrhofen - Anyone been?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheWestFace 23 Jan 2013
I'm going to Mayrhofen for the first time in March, has anyone been? I am sooo excited i had a mini party on my own in my room last night after watching some videos! Has anyone any reccomendations for Apres? I saw a youtube video about an ice bar on top of a mountain which I cant wait for.
 graeme jackson 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:
School Ski-ing trip around 1977. Had a great time. I even think I still have my medal somewhere. can't remember much more about it except that it was covered in snow.
In reply to TheWestFace

Really nice place. If the snow's a bit iffy, you can ski on the Hintertux Glacier which is fun but makes you puff with the altitude.

And there's always the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway...
 Simonpeel 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:

I have been twice, and I would recomend Nikki's Schirmbar, next to the Brucke hotel for apres. Had some very intresting nights in there. Also never had a bad meal in any restraunt we eat in. Tiroler Gröstl Has to be the ultimate hangover cure. As for the skiing or snowboarding it can get very busy so be prepared to queue for certain lifts. The Ahorn tends to a little quiter then the Penken, Anyway im sure you will have a great time.
 due 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:

Mayrhofen is the only place I've seen people still wearing ski boots at 3am. Scotland Yard Pub is good, but Schlussel really is an experience.

Use your liftpass to explore down the trainline a bit.
richyfenn 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:
> ... i had a mini party on my own in my room last night ...

I know the feeling I'm going to Soll this Saturday which is my fist time to Austria. At least once a day for the last month or so I have a little dance.
TheWestFace 23 Jan 2013
In reply to richyfenn: Oh god I have 7 weeks to go, I may explode by then!!
TheWestFace 23 Jan 2013
In reply to due: I've heard scotland yard. I have a feeling I am going to need a holiday to recover after getting back, Ski Hard, Play Hard!!
 Mike-W-99 23 Jan 2013
In reply to richyfenn:
> I know the feeling I'm going to Soll this Saturday which is my fist time to Austria. At least once a day for the last month or so I have a little dance.
Flying out a week saturday. Leave us some snow
Webcam watching has begun.
TheWestFace 23 Jan 2013
In reply to due: sorry for bombarding, if someone could merge the posts that would be great. What do you mean the trainline? can you ski along it?
 Graham C 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:
Really good place.
I have a friend who runs a chalet there.
There is some superb off piste if you have the inclination.
There is always something to ski on, especially if you have a car to get about.

Graham.
 Aigen 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace: We have sj1t loads of snow in Tyrol at the moment. Wont be disappointed.
 due 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:

You can take a train to some smaller, quieter areas just a few minutes down the valley that are covered by your lift pass:

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Austria/Zell-am-Ziller-Piste-Map.jpg
 Ushuaia 23 Jan 2013
In reply to TheWestFace:

Just got back on Sunday.
Definitely got to Ramsau (10 mins on train) - had almost 2 ft of fresh powder off piste on weds last week.
Also, up to the Glacier (via greenline bus) - cracking views and not too crowded.

Nighlife-wise - its decent - there is a good authentic restaurant at the top top of town weisnerHaus(?) or something like that. bars are cheep 3-4euro for a pint of local beer.
 matt.budge 23 Jan 2013
Make sure you get the bus to Hintertux. The views are unreal!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...