UKC

Trad climbers please help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sally Hudson 23 Jan 2013
As part of my degree I'm carrying out a research topic looking at why there are so few female winter climbers. Please help me with this by completing this short questionnaire http://tolu.na/ShD1js
There's only 12 questions and it should take about 5 min to complete.
Thanks for your help!

Posted with permission of UKClimbing
 French Erick 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson:
try it in the winter forum.
OP Sally Hudson 23 Jan 2013
In reply to French Erick: Thanks, but I think that would bias my results due to the specificity of my project.
 Keendan 23 Jan 2013

Nice quick survey, and not poorly written, like many that are posted here

Shame I don't Ice climb
 Pete Ford 24 Jan 2013

Done. I'm not sure the answers given by a fat old punter who only leaves the house in the spring sunshine and returns when the first winds of autumn blow is going to help your project...sorry.

Pete
 martinph78 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Done. Nice and quick, which is good

EeeByGum 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: One of the better surveys I have done. Well done for having at least thought through your questions first.
 Postmanpat 24 Jan 2013

It wasn't clear to me which circle to tick for male or female and anyway it said "not enough single choice answers" and wouldn't let me progress.

What am I dong wrong?
 John_Hat 24 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Sally Hudson) One of the better surveys I have done. Well done for having at least thought through your questions first.

Agreed.
 Doug 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: I had that last night on my home laptop (Mac/Firefox) but it worked fine this morning at work (Win XP/Firefox)
 Radioactiveman 24 Jan 2013

Done ,nice and easy.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2013
"why there are so few female winter climbers"

is that a valid assumption these days? In my experience I'd say that there's a greater proportion of women winter climbers than women summer climbers.
andic 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador:
My immediate thought too
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: I'll save you the hassle - it's because women complain about being cold under a 13 tog duvet with the heating on...
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Done - well thought-out survey )))
OP Sally Hudson 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador: Surprisingly it is valid. According to the Mountaineering Council of Scotland's most recent member survey less than 50% of women who climb in summer also climb in winter. I think it's interesting to know why this is.
 Oceanrower 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Err, they don't like getting cold?

That's my reason and I'm male!
 Bulls Crack 27 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Toreador) Surprisingly it is valid. According to the Mountaineering Council of Scotland's most recent member survey less than 50% of women who climb in summer also climb in winter. I think it's interesting to know why this is.

What's the male percentage out of interest?
OP Sally Hudson 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: The actual figures from the MCofS are: 25% of female members trad climb, and 11% of female members winter climb. For men, 39% trad climb and 29% winter climb.
 AdrianC 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: My friend Pat Deavoll wrote about this question (in relation to Alpinism rather than Scottish winter but the reasons may be similar) in her book Wind from a Distant Summit. Might be worth a read?
 Mark Kemball 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Ye gods, a sensible well thought out survey on UKC, must be a first!
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2013

Broken answered 5 and 6 as yes yet it is asking why I don't ice climb in 7 and 8. Abandoned survey....
skarabrae 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to Sally Hudson)
>
> It wasn't clear to me which circle to tick for male or female and anyway it said "not enough single choice answers" and wouldn't let me progress.
>
> What am I dong wrong?

are you a haemaphrodite??
 Gudrun 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

You need to put N/A as in non applicable in the answers that are N/A to proceed.

Yeah nice and quicky survey.

I only have one female pal who winter climbs with me and we both actually prefer good winter conditions to summer routes.
 pec 27 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) The actual figures from the MCofS are: 25% of female members trad climb, and 11% of female members winter climb. For men, 39% trad climb and 29% winter climb. >

Getting off thread here, but if only 39% of male MCofS members trad climb what the hell else do the other 61% do to the total exclusion of trad climbing?

Simon Caldwell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to pec:
Hill walkers I expect

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...