UKC

Recomend me a petrol/multifuel stove.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
farmerboy 23 Jan 2013
Hi

As the tile says really, we've had a Colemans one for years thats coming to the end of its life and would like something simlar but hopefully with a slightly better build quality than the Colemans.

Thanks
In reply to farmerboy: I have used both MSR and Primus stoves over the years and been more than happy with both. In both cases I've never had any great problems with build quality and both offer good customer service. Unfortunately, in both cases they are not cheap.

You probably need to give more information about the intended use if you want more specific recommendations.
 Kyle Warlow 23 Jan 2013
In reply to farmerboy:

I have heard some pretty good things about this piece of kit. If I was in the market for what your after, I think this is where my money would be going.

youtube.com/watch?v=kG9KXvUZbHE&

K
ice.solo 23 Jan 2013
In reply to K.W.:

got one. f*cking brilliant.

as powerful as any of the others but collapses smaller, is quieter, waaaay safer (no real priming flare), waaaaaaaaaaay easier to use.

issues:
takes a fair bit of pumping as it demands more pressure, takes one or two goes to nail the function, the fuel line is so flexible (so it packs down small) it needs a bit of care to pack.
not sure of price in the UK, but in japan same as the competition.

after 12 years of XGKs im converted to this thing.
farmerboy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Cheers chaps, sorry posted just before I went to bed last night and wasn't very descriptive, it will be bought between myself and my mate, preferably not too much more than £150ish, it will be used in Scotland (winter) and the Alps, we have few gas stoves that we use for short summer or lightweight trips but prefer liquid fuel for winter and/or longer trips.
The Colemans stove was very good and lasted us nearly 10 years but it could be EXTREMELY tempremental and a few things ended up snapping off of it,I know theres plenty out there to choose from but wondered what others have used and got on with, or just as important what to avoid.

Thanks
 toad 24 Jan 2013
In reply to farmerboy: The MSR dragonfly Ive got is brilliant, but just as importantly, the aftersales support from First Ascent is outstanding!
 ScraggyGoat 24 Jan 2013
I had ran an met xgk for nearly twenty years without any breakages, but became temperamental. Now have an omnifuel which is very good and nice to have the versatility to use gas as well. i think the omnifuel is a little bit better, but only just. Tried a mates dragonfly, didn't like it.

Biggest change I made was away from unleaded petrol to cleaner fuels, virtually no sooting. priming has been very predictable and the omnifuel hasn't shown a hint of becoming unpredictable.

If I was buying now I'd be looking at the stove that ice solo has.

If you plan travelling the world an msr will have the best chance of finding spares, shoul it break.
farmerboy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> If you plan travelling the world an msr will have the best chance of finding spares, shoul it break.

Chance would be a fine thing!! But I get your point.
 Edvin m 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: how's it for simmering? Like REAL simmering not Omnifuel or XGX simmering
 Billy the fish 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Edvin m: I have a pair of omnifuels, both simmer perfectly well burning gas or petrol.
ice.solo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Edvin m:

i think a bit better than 'whisperlite simmering'.
its got a wide range of output, but depends on altitude and pressure where its more sensitive than others.

for that trade off you have zero priming, no soot and a regulation system that allows you to control the fuel within the line.

as it goes, i use mine with the pot from a reactor (built in flux system) and its a monster. i use coleman fuel mostly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...