UKC

North York Moors winter conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone know what conditions are like on the moors at the moment? Is Cringleford Crag in condition?

Thanks,

Matt
 Mowglee 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: Really?! If it is, I will be very keen! All I can see is a ****load of fairly soft snow at the moment
 Billhook 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus:
Grid reference please.
(Never heard of that one)
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: watch bbc news.........weather bit
 Mowglee 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Mowglee: yes, for some reason it auto corrected to that. Meant Cringle.
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: since when have they given crag reports?!
 Billhook 26 Jan 2013

a layer of drifted new snow, deep in places overlies a older snow (Perfect x-country skiing)

The temp is around +1c at 1000'. Apart from some reasonable frosts a week ago the temperature has been hovering just below freezing. Not recent enough nor prolonged enough to bring it into condition at least if conditions ower er are owt to go by..
 Franco Cookson 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: stuff was in condition at the weekend just about. Will be well gone by now. If you do get the chance tranmire is worth a look too. Not climbed there in winter myself, but the amount of water that flows over there in summer would make it incredible in a freeze.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2013

The head of Glaisdale is one of my favourite spots. The cliff, marked on the maps, weeps water and in good conditions this gives plenty of choice routes of around 20 - 30 ft.
 jas wood 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: I climbed cringle icefalls last thursdasy and they were there amongst the huge drifts of snow ! very very much doubt they have held out over the weekend like :O( only small falls like but good for practicing on.
 iksander 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: Just down the road from Fryup Lodge? This place sounds brilliant, have a good breakfast then get on the ice!
 Billhook 29 Jan 2013

Oh, dear, I meant the head of Great Fryup and not Glaisdale.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jan 2013
15.5C in York this evening
In reply: I had a bit of a play at Cringle last weekend. Some of the snow was quite deep! What's it like on the moors at the moment? I assume the snow has gone now?
 jas wood 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: Mostly gone but a fresh dusting today and cold overnight but the sun is now out. Wainstones probably bone dry by now :O)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...