UKC

ocean safety survival suit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dollydog 28 Jan 2013
ebay item; suit weighs 490 grams(0.4 lbs)protects to minus 30.orange colour,cost £13
worth carrying in winter perhaps.
find under yacht chandelry,as ebay link not permitted on ukc.
if you cant find it email me for the link.
Flat4matt 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog:

Looks good but thinking about it, wouldn't a standard bag be better and lighter? Taking the glove versus mitt sort of principle, having arms and legs inside a bag sharing warmth from the core?
 NottsRich 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog: I'm not familiar with these suits. How can something that weighs only half a pound protect you to minus 30!?
 Reach>Talent 28 Jan 2013
In reply to NottsRich:
Half a pound of kerosene and a match would warm you up a fair bit
 cuppatea 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog:

if you're tempted to do as I did and Google ocean safety survival suit

then AVAST! goes bonkers if you click the link from

oceansafety dot com

I was curious as well, how does it protect to minus 30? Presumably in water.
 NottsRich 28 Jan 2013
In reply to cuppatea: Yes, I was assuming in water. Then I wondered how water got to -30, even salt water. So I assumed it was for -30 air, but in the water (ocean survival suit...) Still don't get it!
 Steve Perry 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog: The survival suits we use offshore cost around a £1,000, weigh around 5lb and don't protect to -30. If it sounds too good to be true....
 Siward 28 Jan 2013
In reply to cuppatea: I would presume that it protects you at -30 in the sense that it gives you a few minutes (if that) time in which to be picked up by your boat, as opposed to death in 20 seconds...
Flat4matt 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog:

My assumption was that it was for those who were overboard in the cold sea. Dragged back into the dinghy or boat and then worn to warm up with??? The suit would be of no use for warmth in the water. Those dry/floatation type suits cost hundreds running into thousands.
OP dollydog 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog:item number;150973775192
chocolatefingers 28 Jan 2013
In reply to dollydog:

I've used once only survival suits a few times. Usually, they are just a thin material that you wear over warm clothes. I think the advert is misleading, as I don't think the suit inflates you to the size of the Mitchellen man, unless you are wearing something in the order of 5 jackets underneath it.

Sea water freezes at -7 degrees, so not sure how you could get sea water at -30!

In my opinion you can't beat the good old thermal emergency bivvy bag, they cost about £20 and are reusable!
 trouserburp 28 Jan 2013
In reply to NottsRich:
> (In reply to dollydog) I'm not familiar with these suits. How can something that weighs only half a pound protect you to minus 30!?

More confused by how something that weighs half a pound can weigh 400grams

Is it a space-suit and this one of those mass vs weight on Mars things? Is the sub-surface liquid there -30c?
In reply to dollydog:

> suit weighs 490 grams(0.4 lbs)

One pound avoirdupois is 454g. Whatever, it's still very light...

But then it's described as metallised polythene. And the wrapper says 'remove before entering water', and shows velcro fastenings, so the suit won't be watertight (I suspect it will fill with water if worn in the water, putting you in danger...) I suspect this is intended as protection against wind chill, so, for the suggested application of winter survival, a possibility. But a bag might do just as well, and be cheaper, and allow you to retain the heat from limbs better than individual legs and sleeves (cf mitts vs gloves).

The Ocean Safety website gives scant details, but says it weighs 0.2kg.
 jimtitt 28 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
Thermal protection aids are required for open lifeboats if all the crew aren´t provided with immersion suits.
In reply to jimtitt:

That makes sense, Jim; it looked to be an open deck protection of some sort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...