UKC

Sprained Ankle, any tips for strong recovery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BossHog 28 Jan 2013
A fortnight ago i rolled my ankle out running. I was able to hobble back to my car and the ankle blew up to twice the size by the following morning. The bruising has now gone and the swelling has also vanished, i can walk about on it with no problems and even run a little.

However when i face the bottom of my foot inwards and press down on the side of my foot i get a sharp pain, bit worried if i tackle some crack climbing or any moves that require this side of my foot.

Any one any advice for strong recovery? Been doing some reading up and im pretty sure I only have a grade 1 sprain but havent been for xray/doctors yet..
Simon_Sheff 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:

Rice
 TheHorroffice 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:
Spell out the alphabet with your big toe as many times as you can as much as possible.
tommycoopersghost 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:

Slacklining
tommycoopersghost 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:

sorry bud. My name seems to be poison round these parts, and can kill a thread.

Slacklining is really good for strengthening up a sprained ankle. I sprained mine to the point where my leg filled with blood from my knee to my toes on cadair idries years ago. It was a trick ankle for years. A friend whos a physiotherapist recommended a Slackline. After a summer, ankles been good since. Did still have it, but went last week.

Hope that helps.
Cappa 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:

Give it some time, ankle injuries take longer to heal properly due to the reduced blood flow to the region. Best thing you can do is take it easy, plenty of rest and if possible use some tape or a brace to secure it if running to reduce the strain.

For climbing stop if it begins to become painful and work on flexibility exercises, if you search on Google there will be examples on there.
Clauso 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar:

If the ankle's up to it, then I'd recommend the use of a decent wobble board to ensure that you strengthen the ankle and take care of any lingering proprioception issues.
 Nathan Adam 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar: Took mine over 4 months before I had full motion of my ankle back without any pain. Although it was a bearable pain and could walk and climb on it. Mines was mild enough for the doctor to turn me away with just the advice to rest and load up on Ibuprofen and painkillers.

A week after it had happened to me I was due to go to Wales scrambling for the weekend. It never held me back and I just strapped it up well and was fine, albeit a bit slower than normal.
 IoanTataru 28 Jan 2013
In reply to robcaesar: First thing would be to get an elastic bandage and wrap it around your ankle/foot. Then apply RICE: Rest, Ice (a few times a day, freeze water in a styrofoam cup and use that), Compression (the bandage), Elevation (if possible keep your foot higher than your chest level).

After a few days start doing the alphabet exercise (draw each letter of the alphabet on an imaginary board using your foot).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...