UKC

Skiing Questions to Consign to Room 101

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paraffin 28 Jan 2013

For a starters:

"I am a complete beginner to skiing, but can I ski in my B3 winter climbing boots?"
 Trangia 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

Haven't we also had "Can I climb in my downhill skiing boots?"
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Q: "Can I Telemark in my ski mountaineering bindings?"

A: "Yeh, sure! Just let me get my camera out first."
 Trangia 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

Touche!
 benka 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn: Do blades make good approach skis?
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to benka:

Touche!

Also:

"I have a pair of Alpine Trekkers. Can I tag along with you on the tour?

AND will we still be friends after?"
 benka 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn: Has anyone go any Silvretta 404s for sale?
 John Ww 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

"What skiis (sic) should I buy?", followed by no further information whatsover.
 Brass Nipples 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

How to get to ski resorts...
paraffin 28 Jan 2013

I can't be bothered buying, practicing and carrying avalanche beacon, shovel and probe.

Is it true the rescue teams can track your mobile phone signal and dig you out?
 Tim Davies 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

Never had a lesson, can get down anything, can I do the haute route?
 Blue Straggler 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

"Not sure that I'll fit into this scene. Is there a course in how to be a braying wanker?"
paraffin 28 Jan 2013

"Is it true that ski helmets cause more injuries and are just a trendy accessory thought up by the equipment manufacturers?"
macinboots 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

"is there any snow up there/ your optimistic"
macinboots 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

A lakes only based one
"are you going to Raise" even when your setting of from Kentmere as i did recently
 Mike-W-99 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

"What did you do at the weekend?"

"Skiing up north"

"Was there any snow"

"WTF do you think"
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to macinboots:

Heard from the lips of many seasoned winter hill-goers'

"Skiing the the Lake District - you are joking?"

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3237
macinboots 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
"are they ski mountaineering skis"
"no telemark"
"oh....cross country"
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to macinboots:
>
> "are they ski mountaineering skis"
> "no telemark"
> "oh....cross country"

So, can you ski uphill as well as downhill on them?

skarabrae 28 Jan 2013
In reply to macinboots: im a novice/numpty skier & you're all a pack of bastards!
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
> im a novice/numpty skier & you're all a pack of bastards!

Who let the drunk in? You been on the Gluwein?

kevin stephens 28 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
"I'm a cheapskate climber; where's the best place to go skiing for £100 at half term"; and

"I want to ski in Chamonix; what'e the best way to get there from Geneva Airport?"
paraffin 28 Jan 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

> "I'm a cheapskate climber; where's the best place to go skiing for £100 at half term";

Answer: Raise in the Lake District and you will still have £50 change.
>
> "I want to ski in Chamonix; what'e the best way to get there from Geneva Airport?"

Answer: Well, if you start walking now, you might get there by the close of the ski season.

doz 28 Jan 2013
In reply to benka:
> (In reply to parafinn) Has anyone go any Silvretta 404s for sale?

Gotta be joking....still using mine
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to John Ww:

> "What skiis (sic) should I buy?", followed by no further information whatsover.

Then 50 posts later the OP thanks everyone for their contributions. And reveals they have been skiing since before Arnold Lunn was born and they will just stick with their 8 ft long hickories from 1937.

Robert Durran 29 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
>
"In real life are you really all the arrogant condescending tw*ts that you come across as in this thread?"
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
Hi Robert,

No one is getting at you in person. But if you feel that way, I apologise.

I am as guilty as anyone of asking such inane questions.

One of my weaknesses is that I am a little impatient of people asking the same old questions particularly on UKC.

So if you do not like it, you can always check into Room 101.

kind regards

Davie
In reply to parafinn:
> Hi Robert,
>
> No one is getting at you in person. But if you feel that way, I apologise.
>
> I am as guilty as anyone of asking such inane questions.

No problem. As an inept and inexperienced skier, some of the questions seem quite reasonable to me. I hope i wouldn't make fun of people asking similar climbing questions!
 owlart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: We have a 'Starting Out' forum of new/inexperienced climbers to ask questions so that newbie-intolerant users can just not read it. Maybe we need the same for those starting out skiing?
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
Hi Robert,

feel free to pop in the room anytime, fart and leave.
Just next time take your bad smell with you.
Your comments and overarching attitude seem are a bit of a thread killer - here and elsewhere.

Davie
Slugain Howff 29 Jan 2013
In reply to parafin

I fancy having a look at The Hurting. The only thing is I have to be back by tea-time to do my home work. To shave some time off the walk in and walk out is it an option to fit crampons to touring boots and does anyone have experience of tackling routes like these with skis strapped to your back.

S
 French Erick 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
so 2012...
the new in thing is to tackle it with teleboots... not the new fangled ntn ones- the real thing duckbill lace-ups.
The real question: will my mono-point still have enough purchase on the Hurting?
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to doz:
Re: Silvretta 404s
>
> Gotta be joking....still using mine.

Gosh, were those 404 bindings not the reason ski litters were invented?
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to French Erick:

As if Teleing is not hard enough - now that would be hurting!

Q: My skis are only 104 mm wide under foot - do you think I should get something fatter so I can ski the "pow"?
In reply to parafinn:
>
> Feel free to pop in the room anytime, fart and leave.
> Just next time take your bad smell with you.

Well. That's a pleasant comment!

> Your comments and overarching attitude seem are a bit of a thread killer - here and elsewhere.

Speaking of overarching comments.....

I genuinely felt that this was quite a nasty little thread. If I've helped kill it, I can live with that. Nothing personal; I'm sure you're a nice chap really.
 Rollo 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to parafinn)
>
> Haven't we also had "Can I climb in my downhill skiing boots?"

In fairness I've done some stuff up to AD+ in my alpine boots including Mont Blanc and the Haute Route.

Not sure if AD+ counts as climbing?

skarabrae 29 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn: ok, joking aside, i am a newbie/numpty to skiing & im wanting to get into ski touring, mainly in scotland to begin with, im assuming everyone one on here are skiers?
so advice time, im looking to get some good all round alpine touring skis, but confused by all the different types/sizes etc etc
so... what colour skis should i get?
Shearwater 29 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
> so... what colour skis should i get?

Red skis are the fastest, so perhaps if you're a nervous beginner you'd be best off choosing a different colour.
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Hickory, 8ft long, bear trap bindings, leather straps and a pair of stout lace- up boots, cane poles with buck leather handles, seal skins, Norfolk tweeds, welders googles - should see you all right.

doz 29 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to doz)
> Re: Silvretta 404s
> [...]
>
> Gosh, were those 404 bindings not the reason ski litters were invented?

Na, they came in when all you youngsters started skiing beyond your ability......
 Scomuir 29 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

> so... what colour skis should i get?

A mate of mine has a pair of skis with flames on them. You should get them.

paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Scomuir:

Overheard more times than I can remember - More a brash sweeping statement than a question (read with a loud S.E. England twang)

"Yeh, oy went skiing in Scotland wif d'schewl at Aviemore once. It was bleeding crap!"

"Excuse me, I tend to agree with you about Cairngorm, but actually the skiing at the 5 Scottish Ski areas can be very good when the conditions are right"

"Bollocks Jock, you'll be telling me next there is lift served skiing in Engerland! Now piss orf back to your thistles or whatever it is you av to eat!"
 summo 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to skarabrae)
>
> Hickory, 8ft long, bear trap bindings, leather straps and a pair of stout lace- up boots, cane poles with buck leather handles, seal skins, Norfolk tweeds, welders googles - should see you all right.

I bet the hard men a few decades ago, have skied steeper, farther and faster than most folk here wearing just that (or similar). Doesn't make it perfect or the best option, but generally kit today is far too engineered, way beyond most users ability.

Look at the climbing routes that are Grade V, like Smith's, originally done with 1 axe. You can transfer the same thinking to the ski world too.

ps. Yes I've skied in semi rigid leather boots, on piste, with ski mountaineering bindings, it wasn't great!! I also have some of those duck billed leather boots for my 190cm 20+yr old skis, but mainly used for shortish trips out walking the dogs now. Sometimes you cut the cloth to suit the budget or ability and not the ego.
 Edradour 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to Scomuir)
>
> Overheard more times than I can remember - More a brash sweeping statement than a question (read with a loud S.E. England twang)
>
> "Yeh, oy went skiing in Scotland wif d'schewl at Aviemore once. It was bleeding crap!"
>

That's because it is crap!
 French Erick 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
The pisted stuff mostly is ... the touring can be truly phenomenal! That is what I think anyway, and I am slightly picky for obvious reasons
paraffin 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Agreed, Cairngorm usually is.

"Now they have the Funicular, can you get the train all the way from Aviemore station to Cairngorm Summit?"
 summo 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to Edradour)
> "Now they have the Funicular, can you get the train all the way from Aviemore station to Cairngorm Summit?"

A joined up transport system in the UK, you've got to be joking! Although even in places like Kaprun you need to get up the valley first, although the car park is somewhat more hidden.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a daft question, a logical one? Or one that people could only dream of?
moffatross 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
> (In reply to parafinn)
> [...]
>
> That's because it is crap!
Nope, that's because it's your arse talking.
paraffin 30 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:

2166 posts about how crap Cairngorm is on this:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,81386

That is a lot of unhappy people at Cairngorm over the years.

BTW Moffatross: have you thought of bobbing down to Raise? You would be welcome.

Davie
 HeMa 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
> Not sure if AD+ counts as climbing?

Nope, but I think WI5 in good nick counts... can be done easily with nice touring boots (if you're a good ice climber, that is).
moffatross 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to moffatross)

>"That is a lot of unhappy people at Cairngorm over the years."<

Yep, we've all done our fair share of pissing and moaning about the things that Cairngorm's operators might have got better over the years but Edradour implied that the skiing above Aviemore and in Scotland generally was 'crap' and as most people who ski our mountains regularly know, it just isn't. Pissing and moaning about things like the snow conditions and queuing in that winterhighland thread link isn't unique to Cairngorm either, but because it's the busiest lift served ski area in the British Isles and like every other mountain in Britain doesn't have a reliable Alpine climate to keep numbers up day after day, on the busiest days it will always attract a lot more comment because there's more people to do the pissing and moaning and they'll have more queues to piss and moan about too. And as high mileage skiing on soft corduroy with Tartiflette or Tiroler Grostl stops isn't the reason why skiers and boarders continue to enjoy British mountains, it's not fair to assume that the skiing on Cairngorm (or anywhere else in Britain), is 'crap' because you can't get spoon-feed perfect powder by a guide, the piste grooming isn't flattering and pristine, the lifts aren't modern and efficient and you can't get pished up every night surrounded by a load of like-mindeds like you can on your holidays in the French or Austrian Alps. Whether that's why Erdradour thinks it's crap though, who knows ?

>"BTW Moffatross: have you thought of bobbing down to Raise? You would be welcome."<

Thanks, I'd love to ski at Raise and even with an all area season pass for Scotland that still owes me another 8 days this year, from photos and reports I've seen, Raise looks like a real English gem and worth paying for. It's difficult to drag myself away from very local hills sometimes though and often when the Lakes are getting their best snow conditions, the Southern Uplands are too and this descent off Hart Fell above Moffat on Saturday was priceless .. http://i45.tinypic.com/16lydjk.jpg

I will make an effort to come down this season though.
 shaymarriott 30 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:

Whats wrong with asking for advice? I'm off soon to France, and it's tricky to find transfers which aren't on the weekend. I'm not well off so can't really afford to pay a fortune for a private taxi. Should I not ask, just because it upsets you?
 shaymarriott 30 Jan 2013
In reply to shaymarriott:
> (In reply to A Game of Chance)
>
> Whats wrong with asking for advice? I'm off soon to France, and it's tricky to find transfers which aren't on the weekend. I'm not well off so can't really afford to pay a fortune for a private taxi. Should I not ask, just because it upsets you?

EDIT - I took your comment as 'methods' rather than 'geographical directions'. If I'm wrong, then I sincerely apologise!
 summo 30 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:
Raise is OK, Weardale much better. Practically no queues, very little walk in, fast tows, zero novice boarders falling off tows slowing things down (usually).
 Edradour 30 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to parafinn)
> [...]
>
> Pissing and moaning about things like the snow conditions and queuing in that winterhighland thread link isn't unique to Cairngorm either, but because it's the busiest lift served ski area in the British Isles and like every other mountain in Britain doesn't have a reliable Alpine climate to keep numbers up day after day, on the busiest days it will always attract a lot more comment because there's more people to do the pissing and moaning and they'll have more queues to piss and moan about too. And as high mileage skiing on soft corduroy with Tartiflette or Tiroler Grostl stops isn't the reason why skiers and boarders continue to enjoy British mountains, it's not fair to assume that the skiing on Cairngorm (or anywhere else in Britain), is 'crap' because you can't get spoon-feed perfect powder by a guide, the piste grooming isn't flattering and pristine, the lifts aren't modern and efficient and you can't get pished up every night surrounded by a load of like-mindeds like you can on your holidays in the French or Austrian Alps. Whether that's why Erdradour thinks it's crap though, who knows ?
>
I'm sorry that this is off topic but I can't abide this sanctimonious attitude about Scottish skiing.

There is some great ski touring in Scotland but all the points above are strong evidence that Cairngorm (and the other Scottish ski resorts) are crap ski resorts.

You don't know me and you don't know why I go skiing but since, by your own admission, the pistes aren't groomed well, the lifts are substandard, the facilities are poor and the snow conditions are often less than ideal, it is fair to expect that Scottish skiing would be significantly cheaper than the Alpine alternative. It is not and that is why I think it is crap. A weekend in Scotland is no cheaper than a weekend in Chamonix and I am always certainly going to have a better time in Chamonix, regardless of what type of skiing I want to do; touring, off piste, park, piste laps or having fun with my friends (on the slope and off).

If you enjoy skiing in Scotland because it is close to you and, therefore, worth doing then that's great - I'm happy for you but, for most people, that is not the case.
paraffin 30 Jan 2013
In reply to summo:
>
> Raise is OK, Weardale much better. Practically no queues, very little walk in, fast tows, zero novice boarders falling off tows slowing things down (usually).

Yeh, right!
Raise 22 days of operation this season, so far and due to run again Friday / Saturday. Queues have only formed when the friendly relaxed members get chatting and forget to get the queue moving. The 1 hr walk up tends to weed out the more feeble skiers/boarders who want it all on a plate. Also I never sure on the Pennines which way is up the slope and which is down.
Come across to Raise and we will make you welcome.

How many days of operation @ Weardale this season?

kind regards

Davie

paraffin 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:

So does it boil down to value for money for you?

Here are some facts about two volunteer run English Ski fields:

Raise £50 / season - 22 days so far = less than £2.50 / day

BTW: Raise has never had any pisting facilities, other than the goodwill of the member digging out the tow track to make it easier for boarders)

Yad Moss £48 / season - 4 days so far = £ 12/day

We welcome you at Raise and I am sure the Peninne centres will too.

Davie
 summo 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn: sounds good there this year. I normally skied Weardale, north facing, so generally more snow and more days than Yad Moss, also lower membership fee, though at either of their prices this is not a consideration. Weardale have a piste basher, which is only used on the lower slopes and a hut, so a good set up overall. I have skied Raise too, yes, the walk in sorts out the wheat from the chaff! This year, I don't know how many days they've had, as luckily I live in Sweden now, so I don't have to chase winter conditions for climbing and skiing anymore. But, yes I've found all these northern england ski places to be fantastic hidden gems, with great members.
 Trangia 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> In fairness I've done some stuff up to AD+ in my alpine boots including Mont Blanc and the Haute Route.
>
> Not sure if AD+ counts as climbing?

You are right. When I did the Haute Route in 1966 we had to revert to crampons on the touring boots to get over some of the cols when it became too steep to side step, and also to climb some of the peaks en route. We also diverted for a couple of days to climb Monte Rosa again in touring boots for the final 300m ridge on Dufourspitz normal route which IIRC is about PD+ leaving our skis on the col.
 Edradour 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:
> (In reply to Edradour)
>
>
> We welcome you at Raise and I am sure the Peninne centres will too.
>
> Davie

I'd definitely like to give it a go. I can't ski this season unfortunately due to injury but if next year has some snow then I'll give it a shot.
moffatross 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
> (In reply to moffatross)

>"I'm sorry that this is off topic but I can't abide this sanctimonious attitude about Scottish skiing."<

You took the thread off-topic when you said that Scottish skiing was crap but I don't understand what you mean about me having a sanctimonious attitude. I don't think that the Alps are crap and I love to ski 2 to 3 weeks in France, Switzerland and Austria every winter in addition to 20+ days in Scotland so I just don't see how I can be the one with any kind of prejudice. You obviously don't ski in Scotland much but you think Scotland's crap, so it's you that's making the value judgements

In a nutshell, I disagreed after you'd said that Scottish skiing was 'crap' without explaining why and also said that Scottish skiing shouldn't be considered 'crap' because it isn't like the Alps before I even knew why you thought it was 'crap'. You then reiterated that Scottish skiing was 'crap' and explained it wasn't just because it's not like the Alps but was also because it isn't cheaper for you.

I understand your reasons for preferring to spend the same money on Chamonix but again, that's your value judgement, for your circumstances.

>"If you enjoy skiing in Scotland because it is close to you and, therefore, worth doing then that's great - I'm happy for you but, for most people, that is not the case."<

Agreed. But why say that skiing in Scotland is 'crap' when you don't even do it ?
 Edradour 30 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to Edradour)
> [...]
>
> But why say that skiing in Scotland is 'crap' when you don't even do it ?

I have done it. Many times, and each time I have asked myself why I bother. You can use whatever adjective you want but pisted skiing in Scotland (which I was making my initial offhand remark about) has poor quality uplift, is expensive, the runs are short and badly maintained, the snow is wildly variable (even when the resort websites say 'most runs are open and in good condition' this is rarely the case) and the facilities are poor. To most people that would constitute 'crap'.

We have a difference of opinion and that is fine. I hope you continue to enjoy your skiing, wherever that takes place!

DaveHK 30 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to parafinn)
> [...]
>
> it's not fair to assume that the skiing on Cairngorm (or anywhere else in Britain), is 'crap' because you can't get spoon-feed perfect powder by a guide,

Even scottish skiings biggest fans would have to admit that it is often crap.

By crap I mean: No snow at all, icy, breakable crust, clagged in, bottomless wet mank, too windy, dangerous windslab, raining, stitching together a route through unconnected patches.

Let's just accept it for what it is: Sometimes brillant but often crap.
paraffin 30 Jan 2013

Punter pointing down between posts both sides every 10 metres with 300 mm diameter green discs.

Q: "What colour is that piste?"

A : "Looks like it is all white to me, enjoy"
moffatross 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:> (In reply to moffatross)

>"By crap I mean: No snow at all, icy, breakable crust, clagged in, bottomless wet mank, too windy, dangerous windslab, raining, stitching together a route through unconnected patches. Let's just accept it for what it is: Sometimes brilliant but often crap."<

Yep, every silver lining has a cloud and those terms could sometimes describe the conditions encountered as you travelled from summit to valley in the Alps too. Not directly comparing Scotland with say La Grave BTW, just saying ...
 summo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)> (In reply to moffatross)
> Yep, every silver lining has a cloud and those terms could sometimes describe the conditions encountered as you travelled from summit to valley in the Alps too. Not directly comparing Scotland with say La Grave BTW, just saying ...

Yep, here now in Sweden and Norway, many of the lower tows are between 0 and +1 after that big depression blasted through, it's back to below zero by tea time, but that means the lower runs will be sheet ice, just like Scotland, where as the past few weeks have been fantastic. Also the upper runs at some places have had their tows closed due to high winds. Some people probably booked a week away here, expecting some awesome skiing and got what could be described as 'good' scottish condition instead!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...