UKC

Free Standing Bouldering Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HenryCowan 28 Jan 2013
Hi Guys

Looking to make a free-standing bouldering wall (I have no sutible walls to attach the frame to) anybody know how to go about making this (It will be overhanging aswell )

Thanks, Henry
OP HenryCowan 28 Jan 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: Sorry, I realise this is in the wrong section of enquiry.
 mataius 28 Jan 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:

I have thought about doing this as well. (however the girlfriend says no)

What i was thinking is building a frame (wooden) within the the room, basically a cage.

then build your wall within this as normal, but attaching to the frame rather than room.

depending on the size it should be more than stable enough, however weight could be added to it, to stop any movement... sand bags in or on the base should do the trick.

depending on how funky you'd like to be, you could also build in a wall with changeable angle.. I'd do this with metal plates and steel cross bars, but you could achieve something similar using wood.however this could have to much play in it.
 medomjones 29 Jan 2013
hI, i have made several boulderuing walls freestanding, they cost approx 120-150 to make and are brilliant, they can collapse down if not required and can be rested/stored along a wall etc etc, mail me for some pictures, also depending on height availability the abgle can be adjusted, i stuck to 45 myself but its good to have options, it will take you a day to build and stick holds on

easy peasy, and be careful on the tendons

dom

Durbs 29 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:

I'm intrigued - especially at that price (assuming that's without holds!)

Instead of e-mail, can you post images up here for all to see?
 Beardyman 30 Jan 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:I have seen this kind of thing done...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtcM-VvjHEpJeJf86ZAe2...

...Pretty easy to build. Unless you have really high ceilings it's probably worth making it steep, about 40-45 degrees, this will give you the best usage and training benefit.
 Beardyman 30 Jan 2013
 RobertHepburn 30 Jan 2013
I have no idea if they are any good, but I guess this is the kind of thing you were thinking of:

http://highball-climbing.com/products/prd_01.shtml

I thought about buying one and storing it in my garage, but the garage is just too small
 Fraser 30 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:
> hI, i have made several boulderuing walls freestanding, they cost approx 120-150 to make and are brilliant, they can collapse down if not required

You're talking about a pair of Beastmakers, aren't you?!
 medomjones 30 Jan 2013
how do you upload pictures,???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...