UKC

Tandem crash deaths bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dale1968 29 Jan 2013
was on the front page of the Times today
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21242077
 Toby_W 29 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:

I know, it's just so sad.

Toby
 Timmd 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:What can you say, appart from not fair at all?
Removed User 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968: very sad indeed,going from previous threads on here no doubt some anti cyclists will be along shortly blaming it on the cyclists themselves.
 Trangia 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:

Very sad indeed.

balmybaldwin 30 Jan 2013
sara martinsdale1968:

I see the bloke theyve charged had a no license, a driving ban, was evading police, and naturally no insurance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21242077
OP dale1968 30 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: really thrown the book at him! Justice where is it? he needs 20+ years inside
 Denni 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:

Poor buggers. Just about to start IVF and their lives in front of them. Be interesting to see just how lenient the sentence will be, because it will be.
 Phil79 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin) really thrown the book at him! Justice where is it? he needs 20+ years inside

Unfortunately the UK has a terrible record of punishing drivers who kill cyclists, so I doubt he'll get what we (or the victim's loved ones) might consider a suitable sentence.

Heres some examples of the kind of justice cyclist road death victims can expect:

http://ibikelondon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/in-courts-youre-on-your-own-our-l...

And here a list of cyclist killed by motorist in the last few years in the UK and the sentences received. 26 deaths, 11 custodial sentences, maximum of 4 years. 4 f**king years! As many people were given community service as locked up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oXV2F5Ts8Ok0ky6928v3OUygeJ4TqG7Drc5axA1...

To me it suggests a number of things. That we have such a car centric society that road deaths are considered inevitable and no-one (beyond those immediately involved) gives f**k about it, that our criminal justice system isn't fit for purpose, and that cyclist are generally a maligned 'out group' and as such are held in contempt by most jury's and probable a few judges. It makes me so f**king angry, and feel sick for the poor f**kers involved (the cyclists that is, the motorist responsible can go f**k themselves). sorry for the rant, but there you are.

Monk 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil79:

That is a deeply unfair assessment. Road deaths should only be punished according to the crime that caused the death. I don't believe that the outcome of a crime should necessarily be the defining factor affecting the sentence greatly, but the intention or degree of negligence should. A simple driving error (that we all make) could kill a cyclist, but there is no intention to kill or drive badly, therefore a lighter sentence is appropriate. Willfully flouting laws is a different matter and should be treated much more severely.
RCC 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil79:

> ...cyclist are generally a maligned 'out group' and as such are held in contempt by most jury's and probable a few judges. It makes me so f**king angry, and feel sick for the poor f**kers involved (the cyclists that is, the motorist responsible can go f**k themselves). sorry for the rant, but there you are.

There was a case a couple of years ago, where a cyclist caused the death of a passenger on a bus and ended up with a fine of £250. Rare event no doubt, but I don't think that it is a specific problem with the sentencing of motorists.

As others have said, the outcome of the crime influences sentences, but the crime itself is more important. Unfortunately, minor errors have the potential for very serious outcomes when motor vehicles are involved.

In reply to Phil79: regarding thise statistics, not the news story: I have a friend who did time for an incident where the car in front of him rolled off a grass verge and killed a cyclist. He was one of the kindest and friendly people you'd hope to meet. He was mortified and stopped at the scene of the accident and called for the ambulance. Wether any blame lay with him at all was questionable and he got 18 months.
That event altered his life forever. And 18months inside didnt help anybody.
Dont take these statistics at face value, circumstances can vary greatly with each incident.

Awful story about the tandem. Really saddening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...