UKC

Gorms in February - likely need snow tyres/chains?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 29 Jan 2013
How long's a piece of string, I know - but what's the likelihood of needing some sort of winter driving aid in mid February getting around the Cairngorms and Highlands? Car is a front wheel drive MPV. Cheers
 mp3ferret 29 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: not very likely - especially with the current weather. Even when there's a good amount of snow in the hills - the roads are generally fine.
 NottsRich 29 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: As said the roads are usually fine, or cleared very quickly. If you can't get to one place, then go somewhere else! Enjoy.
 d_b 29 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

Main roads are usually fine (A roads, cairngorm ski road etc.), some of the back roads can ice up significantly as they never see gritters.

Glen Feshie is a good example of a road that can be interesting after heavy snow.
In reply to iksander: Winter tyres are never a bad idea and I have them fitted routinely for about 5 months of the year - better grip in just-above-freezing conditions as well as sub-zero temperatures. Only once or twice have I regretted not having snow chains getting about in the Highlands, and in that much snow the car's ground clearance has been as much of an issue as anything...
OP iksander 29 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to iksander)

> Glen Feshie is a good example of a road that can be interesting after heavy snow.

Aha. That's where we're staying - thanks for the tip!

d_b 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

A friend of mine who lives up there advocates all weather tyres as a compromise, as they are generally useful in british weather as well as being superior to summer tyres in snow.

Not tried them myself, but she generally knows what she is talking about.
 Andy Nisbet 29 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

I live near the Northern Cairngorms and although I have chains, I've never put them on. But I do have winter tyres, which make a big difference, and that's enough for public roads. A soon as you need chains, the roads are shut. But they are very good at clearing and gritting the roads round here.
In reply to Andy Nisbet: My experience of living in the Highlands is that if the roads are that difficult with snow, the hills will probably be worse, and you probably don't want to be climbing anyway.
 Timmd 29 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:You could take some snowsocks?
 JohnnyW 30 Jan 2013
In reply to cannichoutdoors:
> (In reply to Andy Nisbet) My experience of living in the Highlands is that if the roads are that difficult with snow, the hills will probably be worse, and you probably don't want to be climbing anyway.

Was going to say the same, from a Stirling perspective...........
Slugain Howff 30 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

Not worth the expense for a holiday trip. Different story if you live up here.

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...