UKC

Ben Nevis and Glencoe - Ian Clough 1969

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gali 29 Jan 2013
Just picked up a copy of 'Guide to winter climbs Ben Nevis and Glencoe' by Ian Clough (1969) at a charity shop. Can anyone tell me if it's quite rare. I can t find much info online about it. It has some lovely topo's in it.
 Steve Perry 29 Jan 2013
In reply to gali: Not sure how rare but it's a nice book, I've got the 3rd edition by Ed Grindley.
 Mike C 29 Jan 2013
In reply to gali:
It came out in March 1969 with 2 reprints in April 1969 & April 1970. Replaced by the MacInnes revised version, in March 1971. Couldn't say how rare it is I'm afraid, but I have a copy of the 2nd reprint which I don't remember paying a lot for. As you say, some nice diagrams, better IMHO than the ones in Ed Grindley's subsequent book (1981).
OP gali 29 Jan 2013
In reply to gali: really chuffed for 99p
 Sean Kelly 29 Jan 2013
In reply to gali: THe original was gobsmacking because I had never seen so many climbs described as 'Formidable and unrepeated'. A real inspiration. I still have my original copy, priced at 7 shillings, dated March '69.
In reply to gali:
I also have a copy - bought in 1970! My most prized possession is however Bugs McKeith's(1968 I think) guide to Creag Meagaidh
 Mike C 30 Jan 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:
> My most prized possession is however Bugs McKeith's(1968 I think) guide to Creag Meagaidh

1966 in fact. You are showing your age now.

I raise you my 1960 copy of The Etchachan Club's guide to North East Coast of Scotland, far better access info than recent guides. I didn't buy it then!

dek 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike C:
1960?!... Is it in Doric?
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale)
> [...]
>
> 1966 in fact. You are showing your age now.
>
> I raise you my 1960 copy of The Etchachan Club's guide to North East Coast of Scotland, far better access info than recent guides. I didn't buy it then!

You're right Mike - it is 66. I acquired it in 68, the year of my first visit to Meagaidh. Back in the days you could doss in Aberarder farm barn, or the wee plastic/fibreglass hut among the boulders by the lochan which I think was destroyed by a storm around this time.
 Mike C 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Mike C)
> 1960?!... Is it in Doric?

Fortunately not, otherwise the following description would be lost on me:
Work diagonally out to the right over a bulging overhang - for all practical purposes not provided with holds (wings and rubber suckers are helpful).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...