UKC

If you had to climb on just one crag all your life.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BolderLicious 29 Jan 2013
If you had to climb on just one crag all your life which one would it be and why? I like Stanage Edge because of the large number of climbs,nice views and proximity to Hathersage for a cup of tea!
 kwoods 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Haven't been to a lot of them but from the ones I have, it would have to be Dumbarton for the most relentlessly creative, 3 dimensional climbing I've done.

But too difficult a question, really
redsonja 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: dinas cromlech
 Jenny Monkey 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: does it have to be in the uk? if not then i vote for cala fiulli in sardinia, right on the beach with everything from the easiest 4a sport climb through to overhanging 7c+'s, and a beautiful place to watch the sun go down!
 wheelo 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: wallowbarrow for sunny disposition nearby grand pub n campsite
 Enty 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious:

El Cap - enough for a lifetime without getting bored

E
tommycoopersghost 29 Jan 2013

i would quite fancy the roaches, minus the people, and the resident turd mentioned on another thread.

Or symonds yat, minus the mud and polish
 Jon Stewart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to BolderLicious)
>
> El Cap - enough for a lifetime without getting bored

I think you mean Shipley Glen.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:
>
>
> Or symonds yat, minus the mud and polish

A lifetime on Symonds Yat - really?

Chris
 Nigel Thomson 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
>
>
> E

Gotta be the Big Stone.

In reply to BolderLicious: Cloggy
 Cameron94 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: The Black Cuillin is just one continuous lump of rock so that will be my choice.
 Jon Stewart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> (In reply to BolderLicious) Cloggy

Good luck with that. I guess in whole lifetime it'll probably dry out a couple of times, so you could probably do up to 5 routes.
 jim jones 29 Jan 2013

UK? Got to be Gogarth.
 brokenbanjo 29 Jan 2013

Wheelo beat me to it, but definitely Wallowbarrow. The view down Dunnerdale is something else! Plus grand ale and food at the Newfield. Broughton Bakery is only 20mins away too. Ideal.
 pneame 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
>

Except that they won't let you stay for even a fraction of that long unless you work for the NPS!
 9fingerjon 29 Jan 2013
Arapalies - it has everything!
 Jonny2vests 29 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:
>
> Or symonds yat, minus the mud and polish

We have a winner! :-{#}
 Brass Nipples 29 Jan 2013

Do the sea cliffs of Pembrokeshire count as one crag.....
 chiz 29 Jan 2013
Does Ben Nevis count as one crag?
 dutybooty 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Mont Blanc Massif?
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2013

Sadly, as long as I could still go hillwalking in Scotland, I might have to choose a mega sports crag such as Ceuse so that I would never run out of projects; at any trad venue I would sooner or later run out of routes I could ever hope to do.
 chris fox 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

My vote too goes for Shipley.
 kermit_uk 30 Jan 2013

I dont think I'd ever get bored of the Verdon!
 AJM 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Similar thoughts, I figured eventually I'd run out of stuff to do if it didn't include some long term projects. I think I might plump for Verdon though because across the two banks you've got steep shady tufa, exposed sunny faces, wide grade spectrum, and world class single and multipitch lines up to what, 9a...
 Enty 30 Jan 2013
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> Except that they won't let you stay for even a fraction of that long unless you work for the NPS!

We could build a house on Lay Lady Ledge?

E
 afshapes 30 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: dinorwig slate quarry, mmmmmmm
tommycoopersghost 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Plenty of routes. Traverses galore even if you exhaust them. Enough looseness to keep you on your toes.

Huntsham is also arguably part of the yat.

Some caves to explore.

Breathtaking views.

Pub in valley below, swimming and canoeing and trout in river wye.

Excellent free wild bivvying and camping, with ample deadfall firewood.

What's not to like?
 Dave Musgrove 30 Jan 2013

I've spent a big portion of my climbing life on Almscliff and still find new things to do and/or aspire to.
 seankenny 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
>

Not much bouldering tho.
 Calder 30 Jan 2013

Wallowbarrow really?! You guys need to get out more. If you're choosing somewhere for the view at least choose somewhere with a good one, like Esk. You'd get some boulders then too, as a bonus.

Me? I'd choose either Wilton 1 because I love it, or Scafell because there'll be ace stuff to do all year round(ish).
 kwoods 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to BolderLicious) The Black Cuillin is just one continuous lump of rock so that will be my choice.

Damn, this one too.

Long I could still walk up hills then that's fine. Although walking up the InnPinn might be a challenge o.0
 Jim Brownlow 30 Jan 2013

No brainer - Pleasley Vale!
skarabrae 30 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: causey quarry.

i`ll get my coat...
 jonnie3430 30 Jan 2013

The Ben? A bit of variety between winter and summer to keep things interesting. Enough miserable weather days to allow work to afford the days off when it is good?
tommycoopersghost 30 Jan 2013

Leckhampto hill quarries.

You'd have it all to yourself, although it does make a worrying appearance in symonds yat guidebook.

It is so frighteningly dangerous that once you've done a route it will take you 12 months to get the courage to try another, so will easily last a lifetime or two.

It really is huge soft limestone blocks, that fall off if you cough. So at least every time you climb any route you can claim a first ascent.
 Rog Wilko 30 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: It would have to be Mt Arapiles for the incredible number of top routes at any grade. As I get (even) older there are still three star routes to do at ever easier grades.
 Rog Wilko 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko: Oh, and I nearly forgot - the weather is generally good (if a bit too hot at times) and for the older climber it has the benefit of short walk-ins.
 pamph 30 Jan 2013
In reply to chiz: And does The Ben also include all of Polldubh?!
 Trangia 30 Jan 2013

Bosigran
ice.solo 30 Jan 2013

The the charakusa count?
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to unclesamsauntibess)
> [...]
>
> Good luck with that. I guess in whole lifetime it'll probably dry out a couple of times, so you could probably do up to 5 routes.

More to do there then many of the choss heaps mentioned on this thread. OP never qualified the weather as a factor. Beautiful setting, fantastic views, hundreds of routes, different styles. Already done many many routes there. Philistine.
 Skip 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:
>
> Bosigran>

Same for me at his stage of my fairly limited climbing experience. Loads of routes, loads of variety in length and grade, and a stunning location. Not often busy (except Bank Holiday weekends) and even when it is there are enough quality routes too avoid queuing.

Bulls Crack 30 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
> (In reply to BolderLicious) causey quarry.
>
>
Now there's a leftfield suggestion I have a softspot for but..no!

It wold have to be somewhere big I think the Ben is a good suggestion - so many days unclimbable that you'd never wear it out.

Stanage? Big and good but too boring

Pembroke maybe.
 birdie num num 30 Jan 2013
Tryfan Bach
Removed User 30 Jan 2013

Llanberis slate quarries. For the memories.
 Tom Valentine 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:
Den Lane Quarries. Pre 1970. For the memories.
 Jon Stewart 30 Jan 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> [...]
>
> More to do there then many of the choss heaps mentioned on this thread. OP never qualified the weather as a factor. Beautiful setting, fantastic views, hundreds of routes, different styles. Already done many many routes there. Philistine.

I'm actually just very bitter, having only ever had one day on Cloggy in about a decade, and lots of mooching around a damp Llanberis Pass, picking routes that aren't obviously sopping, queuing, or more often sacking it off for Gogarth.

I'd love to do the classic routes on Cloggy, and one day maybe I will, but I have prioritised Scafell on the incredibly rare occasions that either are climbable. A few more trips to Scafell and then my attentions will turn to The Black Cliff, so probably about a decade yet.
 Al Evans 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
>
> Sadly, as long as I could still go hillwalking in Scotland, I might have to choose a mega sports crag such as Ceuse so that I would never run out of projects; at any trad venue I would sooner or later run out of routes I could ever hope to do.

At ANY venue you would eventually run out of routes you could ever hope to do. BUT you could say this is the first time I've managed this since I was 60
 Dave Garnett 31 Jan 2013
In reply to tommycoopersghost:
>
> i would quite fancy the roaches, minus the people, and the resident turd mentioned on another thread.

If I don't do something soon I will end up at the Roaches all my life!

My perfect desert island would have Table Mountain in the middle of it. Fantastic routes on perfect rock and still plenty of exploring to do.
 snoop6060 31 Jan 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to BolderLicious) dinas cromlech

Nah,the cromlech is great, but there arent that many routes. Its tiny.

DOes fairhead count as a single crag? If so, that would be a good choice. There is plenty scope for years of fun there.
 Kid Spatula 31 Jan 2013

I'm classing the Mont Blanc range as they are all attached. So that.
 jshields 31 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Another vote for Stanage.
Jon
mudcow79 06 Feb 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Stoney middleton!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...