UKC

BBC4, Thursday 9pm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 29 Jan 2013
Climbing Everest with a mountain on my back: the sherpa s story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qchgv
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ralphio: thanks. .
 734norm 30 Jan 2013
My seat is booked.
 sbc_10 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ralphio:

Good spot.
 martinph78 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ralphio: Thanks for the heads-up.

Martin W 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ralphio: From the BBC blurb: "Every day they risk their lives for the safety of others, yet they seek neither glory nor reward"

Er, they get paid for it, don't they? That counts as reward in my book.
Annoying Twit 01 Feb 2013
The programme does shine a very heroic light on the Sherpa, which makes for a contrast with ... other media.

It's available on IPlayer, but I can't post the link as I get an error concerning very long words without any spaces.
 Jonny2vests 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:
> The programme does shine a very heroic light on the Sherpa, which makes for a contrast with ... other media.

Which media are you referring to?

Annoying Twit 01 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Annoying Twit)
> [...]
>
> Which media are you referring to?

Well known Everest expose books.
 Rourke 01 Feb 2013

I thought it was interesting last night

I know it is not 'cool' to say on here but I don't think I have ever seen or read anything that doesn't recognise the worth of the Sherpas and rightly so. Some books/ films don't focus on them as much as last night but they are certainly not dismissive (at least not any I have read)
 Al Evans 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ralphio: Thanks, always useful to know when something like that is on, it's harder for me to find out in Spain.
 Al Evans 01 Feb 2013
> The programme does shine a very heroic light on the Sherpa, which makes for a contrast with ... other media.
>
> It's available on IPlayer, but I can't post the link as I get an error concerning very long words without any spaces.

Worked ok for me this morning!
 Trangia 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ralphio:

Good proram with an interesting insight into the Sherpa's culture. Amazing tenancity when searching for Irvine's body, but it must be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
almost sane 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ralphio:
Beautiful to look at.
It had some interesting insights into life as a Sherpa.

But I wish it had stuck to the title. It felt that half the programme was about a specific expedition that had little or nothing to do with Sherpa life.

One thing was clear: as one of the Sherpas said, they want repeat business. It is their livelihood. And so there was no mention of any awkward topics, like how a Sherpa deals with a client who refuses to turn back.
AWR 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ralphio:
It's always nice to see something about mountaineering on mainstream media but I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with this programme...I hoped it would follow Sherpa on the mountain and show what an asset they are to expeditions across the region more than it actually did. Instead it felt more like typical wooly BBC fodder that focussed on trying to make us feel sorry for Sherpa rather than increase respect for them in the general public.
 mypyrex 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ralphio: Excellent programme. Even the Mrs enjoyed it although she did say, when they showed somebody crossing a crevasse by ladder, "Oh, I didn't know they used ladders to get up Everest"! 8o(
 JamButty 01 Feb 2013
In reply to MountainsAreBetterThanOffices: agreed I was a bit disappointed, but overall enjoyed it. Loved the fact that mobile phones are part of the daily routine now!!!

Tom Briggs 01 Feb 2013
In reply to MountainsAreBetterThanOffices:

I was pretty disappointed too, on many levels. For a starters it seemed to suggest it was going to be focussed on Sherpa life and then ended up being a lot about the expedition to find Andrew Irvine's body. Way too much voice-over and not enough interviewing of Sherpas.

A film maker called Margriet Jansen made a doc about Nima Temba a few years back that was pretty interesting: http://www.ucfilms.in/subject/exclusion/nima-temba-sherpa/

There's a brilliant film to be made about Sherpas on Everest, but this wasn't it!
 Jim Nevill 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs:
Agree, fell between two (at least) stools. Also kind of ignored the poor old sherpa-porter, who carries vast loads often in flip-flops and can be the backbone of a trip. Interesting but not compelling.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs:

I got the impression it started out as documentary about an expedition to find Irvine's body. But they didn't find it, and nothing much of interest was found, so they tacked on the stuff about Sherpas to pad it out a bit.

stevev 01 Feb 2013
I saw a continuity error in there, they must have been short of hill shots.

There is a scene of a steep bit on Island Peak, with the peak in the background. They used that as acclimatisation.

Then later on when they were supposed to be going up to the N.Col the same shot appeared again.

yeah I know, very sad
In reply to stevev: I notice repeat shots(3 or 4 times) of a guy hauling a yellow ME duffel bag onto his back.
Poor show in general, could have been so much more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...