UKC

Which road tyres?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 30 Jan 2013
So i've worn my current tyres down to the lining and so i'm currently picking up punctures like crazy...time for new tyres.

however, this is my first road bike so never bought tyres before. I use the bike solely for city commuting/fast riding. The current set up on the bike has treaded front but a slick rear. Is this a choice for a reason or just the previous owner of the bike picking up mongrel tyres?

Tyres size is 700x23C 23-622, looking to buy reasonable quality tyres but not too expensive.

Any recommendations? ... do a i get a slight discount for buying a set?
In reply to Kemics:

I asked a similar question in this thread - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=534378

I plumped for the Michelin pro-4s in the end.

ALC
OP Kemics 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

are they tubeless? or....tubed? not sure on the terminology there
OP Kemics 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

oh and is it considered uncool to get coloured tyres walls :P

Hat Dude 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

One of the posters in the linked thread mentions Michelin Lithion 2s
I've been using these for the last year & found them good; no problems with punctures on mainly country lanes (that's put the mockers on it!)

You can pick them up online for under £15
 Hat Dude 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

Yes it is very uncool; I've got red ones to match the decals on my bike!
In reply to Kemics:

They require inner tubes.

ALC
 stevez 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX every time for me. Very low rolling resistance and so far only 2 punctures in the last 18 months (c. 3,500 miles of riding).
 Toby_W 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:

I've had pro race 1,2,3s on my race bike which are excellent.

On my commuter I think i have Gatorskins, and Duranos which are superb.

Cheers

Toby
In reply to Kemics:

Vittoria Rubinos are relatively cheap and have very good puncture resistance. They came with my Ribble Gran Fondo 3 years ago, and I've now relegated them to my winter hack. The only punctures I've had in 5000 miles round the Lancashire lanes have been 'snakebites' due to hitting potholes! I've recently invested in some new lighter wheels and had no hesitation in putting Rubino Pro's on to them.

Enty 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Kemics)
>
>
>
> I plumped for the Michelin pro-4s in the end.
>
> ALC

Good call - I'm on 4's on my best bike. You can still get 3's though for a good price which I have on most of my other bikes (and Mrs. Ents).

The Krylions are good training tyres if you want something hard wearing.

To be honest most big names make good tyres nowadays - Conti, Hutchinson, Scwalbe............

E
 r0b 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
>
> The Krylions are good training tyres if you want something hard wearing.
>

Krylions are now called Pro 4 Endurance
 Dom Brown 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: I use Continental Gatorskins and really like them.
OP Kemics 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

Thanks for the all advice guys. I've gone for a set of the pro4's...in black :P

Enty 30 Jan 2013
In reply to r0b:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> Krylions are now called Pro 4 Endurance

I'll check those out - Pro 4 endurance sounds expensive though

E
In reply to Kemics:

I find Vittoria Rubinos (the folding ones) to be relatively cheap, light, grippy and very puncture resistant. I've done several thousand miles on them and the only p*nct*res I've had have been 'snakebites' caused by hitting potholes!

I did have some Vittoria Evo Corsas - but found that the central tread started to delaminate after a couple of thousand miles, however I did get them as 'clearance' stock from my LBS at a very hefty discount so couldn't grumble too much!
 ripper 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: The Schwalbe Luganos that came fitted to my cheapish Focus road bike are still going strong two years or more on. Just one puncture, when I hit a very sharp pothole at about 23mph, trying to ride at normal speed in the pitch dark with just a budget halfords commuting light...
dasy2k1 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:
I have schwalbe marathon tyres on my road bike i use for commuting, no punctures and no noticable wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...