UKC

The Residents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
who likes them? who has even heard of them? identify yourselves (theres at least 2 of us here).

a primer for those who are not initiated

youtube.com/watch?v=k8flBUYBcao&
 OMR 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Okay, I confess. Got into them in 1978(?) when they released a version of The Stones' 'Satisfaction', hugely superior to the limp Devo version. Bought all I could on vinyl, though I confess I haven't listened to them very much in recent years. May just rake some of them out again though - some great stuff in amongst the lunacy.
 The Pylon King 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Yes i always liked them for their disturbingness but never bought any records.

Ever heard of Blah Blah Blah?
 fried 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Eskimo, very good.
 TonyG 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Yep, now you're taking me back a few years. My entry point to The Residents was a live version of their cover of 'It's a Man's Man's Man's World'... great stuff, but WTF? There's a live double album sitting up in my mum and dad's attic back in England, probably won't ever get played again unfortunately as neither I nor they own a record player anymore... I bought it on the strength of this song, and didn't regret it.
youtube.com/watch?v=hkw4fNuf558&
ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Ahhh. TOM waites
 Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Heh I guessed your primer would be Constantinople!
ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I figured it best to ease folks in. Too much Residents at once to the uninitiated can have an unpredictable effect.

I actually like 'ships going down' most, but no clip.
 The Norris 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

My brother took me to see them when i was about 17, they were performing their Wormwood album. It was pretty bizarre to me at the time! but i've since grown to like them a lot.
 Dauphin 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

They are touring this year. We've got tickets to the London show. Never been able to make my mind up whether I love them or not. I'm glad they do what they do. Prefer the Fugs though.

D
In reply to ice.solo:

Well done !

The Mark of the Mole is on in the background......
 Thrudge 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Can't say I like all their stuff, but The Commercial Album was wonderful, as was Ralph Before '84. Hello Skinny:

youtube.com/watch?v=AvJiyOPmsJs&

And they should probably get a prize for turning "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" into "I'm Dreaming of a White Sailor". Oh, how I laughed....
 Jon Stewart 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

One of my mates at uni was into them. He was a massive druggy and didn't wash. What more can I say?
ice.solo 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> One of my mates at uni was into them. He was a massive druggy and didn't wash. What more can I say?

You could say why being a grimey druggy has any relation to being into The Residents.
 dbm 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Bought Satsifaction single and the Duck Stab EP in 1978. Saw them on the Mole Show Tour in London c1984. I was also a member of The Residents Fan Club, WEIRD!

David
 ripper 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo: First experienced them sometime in the early 80s (IIRC) when I saw this clip on the old grey whistle test review of the year or somesuch. weirded me the hell out but i loved it, it was the only thing all my mates could talk about the following day.

youtube.com/watch?v=NRweyGHJ3bc&

(sorry about the ad at the beginning but it's short and worth it)
Removed User 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

I forgot about the Residents. I was quite into them for a while around the mid 80s. I like this one especially, reminds me a bit of Lumpy Gravy.
youtube.com/watch?v=j6UoYi1EADs&
 Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

They are playing in Washington DC on Sunday night.
I am going to be in Washington DC this weekend....but my flight leaves Sunday 9pm!
ice.solo 05 Feb 2013

change the flight man!

they only play live about once every 15 years. what are the odds! there will be other flights.
Ice.solo just offered some valuable advice.....let us know how much you enjoyed the experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...