UKC

5 days in February- where to go??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 t_hume 31 Jan 2013
The girlfried and myself have 5 days off in Feb (thankfully after half term) and want to get away skiing somewhere. We're not amazing skiers so not looking for anything too hard- comfortable on reds and maybe blacks. Girlfriend likes her creature comforts so we (she)doesn't want a hotel that is too budget. We're looking at Saalbach in Austria and I've priced up about £1000 each for everything.

Are there any obvious deals/resorts I'm not seeing? £1000 seems alot and the only way to make it cheaper would be to downgrade the hotel (unhappy girlfriend).

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.
 summo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume: book everything independently or go last minute and see what is available to fly with a day or twos notice. Thinking; flights £200, very nice hotel £500 each for 5 nights, lift past £150 each , ski hire £100 each , etc.. you'd pay about the same but £200 a night will get a nice hotel, not your average 2/3* package one, but it's more work for you. You may well find lift passes and hire cheaper, I'm just guessing slightly as it varies.
wilf1 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume:
I think you're very lucky to be allowed time off work for such activities
We're going to Les Arcs, France (9th Feb), catered chalet including lift pass transfers etc for £875 (not in half term) and I spent over a week searching and that was the best deal I could find.

There were cheaper self catering options but then I suspect Mrs H wouldn't fancy cooking so be prepared to spend a small fortune eating out !

Good luck or it'll be snow caves and wet wipe washes again

Be good... W
 Sam Mayfield 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume:

Andorra, fly into Granada hire a car drive up, stay in Soldau, has a nice spa hotel.

Sould work out £500 each.

Sam
 andy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
> (In reply to t_hume)
>
> Andorra, fly into Granada hire a car drive up, stay in Soldau, has a nice spa hotel.
>
> Sould work out £500 each.
>
> Sam

That's some drive - why not Gerona, Barcelona, Carcassonne etc?
 andy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume: Does it have to be hotel? If you go on chalets direct there's a forum called "Solutions Room" - you put what you're after and chalet and small hotel owners make you an offer if they have rooms left.
OP t_hume 31 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: Thanks for all the advice folks.
mountain_bikerider 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume: We did Alpe D'Huez for a week in Jan in a chalet for about £800 all in. Unfortunately it seems that lift passes are about £200 a week in France, Austria and the States at the moment so thats a big chunk of the budget. Try Skiworld they often have last minute deals for both fully catered chalets and hotels with hot tubs and saunas.
 Brass Nipples 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume:

If you go independent and use the Eurostar to Paris then the to bourg st Maurice. It'll work out at £650 each for a luxury catered chalet in the French resorts in that region. Train Paris to bourg is about 5 hours. Have lunch in Paris on the way.
 davy_boy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to t_hume: check out some of the deals with crystal iv just had a week in seefeld with my girlfriend and everything came in about £600 each that was with ski hire and lift passes. hotel was nice with all facilities but not to fancy, an extra £400 each seems incredible unless your staying at the best hotel in the country.
 Sam Mayfield 02 Feb 2013
In reply to andy:

lol
wrong airport, was sort of thinking you would all guess that much!

Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...