UKC

Arrochar conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 agray 31 Jan 2013
Does anyone know what conditions in Arrochar are like at the minute?
 Scott Rankin 31 Jan 2013
In reply to agray: Was stripped with the thaw during the week. Fresh snow today but really just a dusting. Turf probably unfrozen after many landslips in the area.
 RomTheBear 01 Feb 2013
Any news on the conditions ? I am guessing it must be quite bare.
 RomTheBear 02 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: conditions this Saturday : thin but ok, hard snow neve in some places. You could climb the easy gullies if brave but they would feel harder.
 Lloydfletch 05 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: Anyone been out, or even driven past arrochar area recently? Hoping to get out on some grade II/III stuff thursday on the cobbler or nearby alternative. Anyone got any idea if anything'll be in? Open to suggestions in the area. Though coming by bus to arrochar (or a bit further on), so would need to be in that area.

If it's not in, will there be any ski descents worth doing round there?
 Lloydfletch 06 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: Anyone got any idea?
 Milesy 06 Feb 2013
You could always brass it and call the Arrochar Hotel and ask them to look across at the hill for you and see of there is much snow. At least lets you get a starting idea. I know folk that have done it.
 Lloydfletch 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: Sounds like a plan! thanks for that.
 Milesy 06 Feb 2013
The Ben Lomond webcam can also be usefull although Ben Lomond melts off quicker than The Cobbler as it is closer to the warmth of the water.
 Areteroute 06 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: I am heading to the Cobbler tomorrow. I can see Ben Lomond from my window and the snow line is at 500m. Without doubt there will be good snow on the Cobbler. I would think the gully routes in the main coire will be good and maybe even down as low as Chockstone Gully. If I am wrong don't strangle me if I see you!
 Lloydfletch 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Areteroute: So cobbler looks in? the gully routes would be ideal really.

Thanks for the info. if only you'd been out today though!!
 RomTheBear 06 Feb 2013
Areteroute let us know how it looks like when you come back
 Areteroute 07 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: I ended up with no partner today so i had a quick trip up Beinn Narnain. My blog link is beloe with a picture of the Cobbler and a description of conditions. If you can't be arsed reading about my day out the last paragraph has the ifo you need!

http://wp.me/p32HpE-27
In reply to Areteroute:

hi, cant access your blog on my work computer, how was the conditions on the Cobbler?
 Areteroute 08 Feb 2013
In reply to unknownclimber6: Didn't get onto the Cobbler stayed on Narnain. Snow is down to the Narnain boulders on the Cobbler although a bit wind scoured in places. The butresses are a little black but some lines will be there. All the gully's are complete. On Narnain from 450m up all was frozen with the turf being rock hard. I down climbed a bit of grade 1 snow for about 80m on Narnain. The snow was dry, crusty and consolidated. I did spy little pockets of wind slab on the eastern side but they could be avoided no problem. I reckon Grassy Traverse would be in really good nick. Hope this helps.
 Lloydfletch 08 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: Was up on the cobbler yesterday. Did chockstone gully, which was mostly deep soft snow, except for the snow under the chockstone itself, which gave a small bit of lovely steeper snow ice. the step at the start of great gully would certainly be harder than II, and the snow there is soft as. we then headed over to central gully, which was also soft, so we started up the low angle buttress just to the left just to do something. honestly, i don't have much experience with turf, but I defo destoyed one bit trying to use it, so we backed off to the side after about 40m.

lots of snow about, which sadly wasn't as good in the gullies as it was on the paths/lower slopes. as for turf, I'm a poor judge. there was loads of ice forming also, pretty much everywhere.

hope this helps.

also, anyone think that any gullies in the arrochar alps, perhaps not on the cobbler, could be in good nick (snow ice rather than snow slog) by next week? any help would be appreciated. thanks.
 Burnsie 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> The Ben Lomond webcam can also be usefull although Ben Lomond melts off quicker than The Cobbler as it is closer to the warmth of the water.

Eh? Ben Lomond is higher and further away from the sea so is more reliable than the cobbler. You can view Ben Lomond from Stirling and certain parts of Glasgow so can be a useful southern highlands conditions indicator if you can't actually make it out.
 Drew_boy 09 Feb 2013
On the Cobbler yesterday. Did Maclays Crack. Plenty frozen turf but snow only consolidated in places. Path down from North Peak wasn't nice, deep sticky snow.
Only saw one other party climbing on Recess Route.
All in all a great day with not much wind.
drmarten 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Drew_boy:
Thanks Drew, anyone been up today? I'm interested in the extent of snow cover for a look at some low grade (I/II) soloing.
 Pids 09 Feb 2013
In reply to drmarten:
Soft snow stripping rapidly today - decided against McClays Crack as it was too soft.
Sugar snow all the way, no parties climbing today, everyone carrying gear for a walk
drmarten 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Pids:
Thanks although it's not what I was wanting to hear! I think I'll repack my rucksack for a walk.
 Pids 09 Feb 2013
In reply to drmarten:
Aye, it was a pleasant walk in warm temps carrying a sack full of climbing gear - good training / character building

Was rather warm up there today, stripping fast, turf not frozen either, have a good one though
 Busby 10 Feb 2013
In reply to agray:

Was up yesterday, did the SE Ridge route, lots of bare rock but turf was still frozen for the most part.

As folks have said ALOT of wet snow, was definitely above freezing for most of the day.

Day took a good bit longer than expected and ended up having to walk out the main corrie route which was not fun owing to some extremely suspect patches of snow. We were moving extremely cautiously but I would advise avoiding it if at all possible, don't imagine it'd take much to make it slide now with the temps we've been having.

Have fun and stay safe.

Iain
drmarten 10 Feb 2013
I did get out this morning at the top of Loch Lomond. The ground was unfrozen and muddy. Wet snow fell throughout the morning and was falling at the roadside for the drive home. Not that cold but a bit windy up on the hill which provided a chill. Slope facing west had a snowline around 300m. Visibility very poor. Some windslab apparent at about 700m on top of an older firm snow covering. Worth it as a legstretch but not much else.
 kbow265 11 Feb 2013
In reply to agray: Anyone been up today? Hoping to do North Gully on the Cobbler, and that the cold temperatures have consolidated the melty snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...