UKC

Free standing wall - dimensions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike00010 01 Feb 2013
Hi All

I'm looking to build a freestanding (has to be as will be in a rental property) climbing/bouldering wall out of wood. I've got an idea of the design that I want but was just wondering whether anyone could advise on the dimensions of the base that will be necessary to ensure stability. I'm looking at a 20-30 degree overhanging wall of either 3, 4 or 5 meters tall and 3 to 4 meters wide. Does anyone have any actual designs that they've built which they'd recommend?

Thanks
Mike
OP Mike00010 01 Feb 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Cheers the dimensions on the highball product are a great help. So for something that's four meters high then something in the region of four to five meters should work or could be adjusted for an increased level of weight on the end of the feet.

Thanks for the help. If anyone else has designed and built one a bit higher then any other assessments would be more than helpful.
 Fraser 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike00010:

Whatever you do, I'd recommend having at least 600mm (preferably 1m) free beyond the width of the board itself for flagging and general movement. 5m is too high for a bouldering wall IMO. 4m max and noting wrong with 3m. I built one (not free-stand though) which is 3m wide, just over 3m high and is about 17°. Bear in mind having a decent a decent t-nut grid. You probably want each row of t-nuts off-set at about 150mm centres (in a diamond pattern)

Also, the steeper the better. I'd have done 40° if I could, but was restricted in the amount of floor space it was taking up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...