UKC

What terrified you as a kid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 01 Feb 2013
For some reason, I was terrified of the blue meanies on yellow submarine!

http://yellowsubmarine.wikia.com/wiki/File:Chief_Blue_Meanie.JPG
 SAF 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: The flying monkeys in the wizard of oz. When it comes on the telly at christmas i still expect to be scared of them, and feel slightly disapointed when i'm not!
In reply to Denni:

The opening title to a program called Armchair Thriller used to shit me up when i was a kid.
 ThunderCat 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> The opening title to a program called Armchair Thriller used to shit me up when i was a kid.

I remember that.

youtube.com/watch?v=iYBiTkiwFBM&
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy)
> [...]
>
> I remember that.
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=iYBiTkiwFBM&

Thanks for that Thundercat! Those shadowy fingers on the armchair. Twisted.
 ThunderCat 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
>
> Thanks for that Thundercat! Those shadowy fingers on the armchair. Twisted.

Yeah, but not half as scary as:

youtube.com/watch?v=6IF-0XNKlhk&

That nagging, off key theme tune still gives me the Fear.
Sarah G 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
Cybermen.

Sx
 Clarence 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

A BBC children's drama called The Changes, I am still wary of pylons to this day.
 Tom Last 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Dogs.
Jamming Dodger 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: The Tripods tv series. It still haunts me to this day.
 the power 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
Dr Who
Hammer house of horror
Start sequence of tales of the unexpected
 Rock Badger 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: Terra hawks,,,,,, totally weird as far as i can remember
 Fat Bumbly2 01 Feb 2013
In reply to count: The Cold War - when I became aware of it at around 10.
Jim C 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
The Daleks in the early days of Dr Who, I just dreaded waiting for a lift to open to see if there was one there or not.

(In hindsight, If I had been DR Who I would have cut all lift cables and only used stairs)
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy)
> [...]
>
> Yeah, but not half as scary as:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=6IF-0XNKlhk&
>
> That nagging, off key theme tune still gives me the Fear.

Yeah that is a spooky little waltz. Just went from that to the World in Action theme. Brought back loads of memories from the 80s. Think im going to go and watch an episode of The Professionals.

george mc 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

yetis in Dr Who - oh and the Cybermen - Evil F*ckers!
 koolkat 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
jimmy saville :-O
 Tom Last 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

There was a weird Doctor Who episode with some cats that scared the bejeezus out of me.
 crustypunkuk 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: I watched a program about the finding of the bodies of Captain Scott et al in the Antarctic. The bleached white skin and flesh of the bodies freaked me out. I couldn't close a door without checking there was no body behind it for well over a year.
Also, the film 'the Company of Wolves' had me sleeping with the light on for a while.
 getandy 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: when i was a kid my parents used to take these little troll toys with had and put them on the bottom of the stairs to stop me going up apparently i was shit scared of them :P
 mrchewy 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: Dr. Who and the Sea Monsters. Eek.
 Chris the Tall 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> A BBC children's drama called The Changes, I am still wary of pylons to this day.

The pylons thing stirs an unsettling memory deep for me as we'll, will have to investigate

For me I remember being terrified by the pub sign of the Eagle and Child at stavely.
http://www.eaglechildinn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/EagleMenuA312.pdf
 Blue Straggler 01 Feb 2013
In reply to crustypunkuk:
>
> Also, the film 'the Company of Wolves' had me sleeping with the light on for a while.

It is a 15 certificate film, and ideally aimed at a proper adult audience!

browndog33 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: I grew up in a 17th century pub till the age of 11, it was a scary place after locking up time!
Mark.
In reply to Denni:

Not quite scared, but I was always wary of Simon Groom on Blue Peter...
redsonja 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: rats. they still do. and PIRA, from about the age of 10
In reply to Denni:

The changeling in Krull when he mimics the seer. Those black eyes...
 Fredt 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

My dad coming home drunk.
In reply to Denni: Cows. They still frighten me a bit but I'll tentively walk through a herd of them these days.
 crustypunkuk 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
I knew I shouldn't be watching films like that, but in a way it was fun to scare myself shitless.
Also did it with the howling, an american werewolf in london and especially the fog.
Ironically, nowadays i must be desensitised as i cant find any film that can scare me like those did!
 balmybaldwin 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

False office ceilings

After watching a film called "the willies" (There's a scene with a creature that lived in the false office ceilings that ate people who were on the bog)
In reply to crustypunkuk:
>
> Ironically, nowadays i must be desensitised as i cant find any film that can scare me like those did!

Try Silent Hill (you need to suspend some disbelief and choose to take it seriously, mind).

Or get a little bit stoned and watch Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

Enty 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> A BBC children's drama called The Changes, I am still wary of pylons to this day.

OMG that used to put the shits up me - horrible programme. http://www.bilderberg.org/changes.htm

E
Removed User 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Sarah G: me too-freaked me right out.
 More-On 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy: Blokes in string vests! Come on MrC...
 Enty 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Denni)
>

youtube.com/watch?v=CYkkfBMK-7c&

E
 Ramblin dave 01 Feb 2013
In reply to SAF:
> (In reply to Denni) The flying monkeys in the wizard of oz. When it comes on the telly at christmas i still expect to be scared of them, and feel slightly disapointed when i'm not!

Which reminds me... Return to Oz.
 mrchewy 01 Feb 2013
In reply to More-On: There's many a mountain been conquered in a string vest. The stuff of legends...
 adstapleton 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger:

Tripods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That shit was da boooooomb!! We got to study the book (the white mountain(s?)) in GCSE english.

Rad.
 More-On 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy: Aye, I have to give you that! Catch up soon...
 HenryCowan 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: I played the nutorios "Scary Maze Game" at a stupidly young age.( for anyone who has not yet experienced this plesure, i highly suggest it) The Exorcist face freaked me out for about a year!
 RockAngel 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: the Incredible Hulk apparently, which wasnt good because mt brother would watch the tv programme every week (we lived in Canada then)

and the scene in Star Wars where they are trapped in a small room and the walls start closing in on them
ice.solo 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

The shroud of turin for some reason.
 ThunderCat 02 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Sapphire and Steele
 colina 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
I seem to recall my scout master was a little too "hands on"
why he insisted i sat on his lap "in case the fire spits" whilst singing ging gang goolies round the camp fire I'll never know.
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> Sapphire and Steele

That was a strange program. I particularly remember an episode with a man with no face. Scary.

In reply to Denni:

Hot air ballons, lifts and Nuclear War!

Luckily 2 out of the 3 don't worry me anymore - ballons and the nukes! Still don't like lifts
 Dax H 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: Moths.
As a young child a school teacher told us a story about a young boy who collected moths and pinned them to his wall.
To cut a long story short one of them came alive and smothered him in his sleep.
Even now at 40 years old I am edgey going to sleep if their is a moth in the room.
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Bagpus.

colina 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: there used to be a supernatural drama on the box called "mystery and imagination" That used to scare me ..
 Blue Straggler 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

That glass skull at the start of Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers. Well it didn't terrify me....I thought it was a bit shit really....but still it used to slightly give me the chills!
 mattrm 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> My dad coming home drunk.

That sounds suitably grim. :|

I was scared of Mummies and anything like that. Oddly enough I went on to study Archaeology and Ancient History and I now love stuff like that.

Dino Dave 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: Anything wearing a gas mask. Always freaked me out
 leeangell 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Tales of the unexpected and Children of the stones.
 gribble 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Sad to say, my dad. Hope it's not a hereditary thing.
 crustypunkuk 02 Feb 2013
Silent Hill had atmosphere, but that's all- gimme the walking dead anyday!
I don't do wes craven films- watched lots of them and i just dont agree with his status as the modern 'horrormeister'. Formulaic horror by numbers is how i see his films! quiet LOUD quiet LOUD doesn't excuse a lack of script or storyline!
 Brass Nipples 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

The twilight zone.
 Steve John B 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: My mum used to use old baby vests as cleaning cloths. One of them had a large hole in, which terrified me as a small child. I can only assume my dad stuck it on my head for a laugh or something and freaked me out.

Daleks? Rubbish! Cybermen? Bring it on. Hole in wet vest? Yikes!
 Blue Straggler 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
> For some reason, I was terrified of the blue meanies on yellow submarine!
>
> http://yellowsubmarine.wikia.com/wiki/File:Chief_Blue_Meanie.JPG

Don't watch this then

youtube.com/watch?v=59ahx9ckqIw&
 MargieB 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sarah G: Me too!
 Wonrek 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: I had a less thn responsible mother that thought it was ok to let a seven year old watch the Amityville Horror ans Exorcist movies.

Freaked out is putting it mildly....
 Nick Alcock 03 Feb 2013

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die.

Lost a little sleep thinking about this.
 flaneur 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Heights
 butteredfrog 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Alien, had a 2' tall alien model (with luminous bits) when I was about 10 or 11, had to put it in the wardrobe to sleep.
Also they used to test the air-raid siren every other tuesday in the early eighties, used to count 4 minutes before breathing a sigh of relief.
 Enty 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

The threat of my dad smacking me - kept me on the strait and narrow and out of bother.

E
Frogger 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

I never really got scared by anything.

Until I watched American Werewolf in London. After that I imagined wolves coming out of every shadow! :-/
 Cobbler 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Fenella. Still gives me the willies when she pops up in yer face!

youtube.com/watch?v=885aUJnKb-Y&
 Tom Packer 03 Feb 2013
Found the flying monkes from the wizard of oz fairly frightening, but when Karma Chameleon first came out, for some reason I found Boy George to be utterly terrifying.
 Cobbler 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Frogger:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> I never really got scared by anything.
>

"I'm not scared of practically anything" - E11
 Trangia 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

That Hitler wasn't really dead and the War would start again

Wasps

Balloons bursting at childrens' parties
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

My mum!

(Loved her to bits though)
 Queenie 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Thunderstorms. Probably as mum was terrified of them and said we should all go downstairs because of the danger, ideally into the under-stairs cupboard until it passed. I used to sweat and tremble under my blankets until dad carried me downstairs, my eyes tight shut.
In reply to Denni: the moomins
 Flinticus 04 Feb 2013
Hahaha. I remember that! and its exactly like you said. What a great series!

In the Peep Show episode 5 of series 5, Jez's manager Cally has a New Age belief in the healing power of crystal skulls, and makes the normally rational Mark agree that "I believe that they were crafted by the ancient inhabitants of Atlantis and that they're powerful centres of healing" in return for keeping peace in the relationship. Mark comically frustratedly smashes the crystal skull later in the episode, stating that if its healing powers is so great it can heal itself.
 Paul Robertson 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:
The Singing Ringing Tree. Apparently I'm not alone
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/19267/the-singing-ringing-tree-scariest-kids-tv...
 Cú Chullain 04 Feb 2013
At a very young age after watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers my brother convinced me that at the end of garden he had found several ‘pods’, one of which looked very similar to me so I had better not go to sleep that night or I would never wake up and I would be replaced by an alien clone.
 Richard Carter 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

"Alien"

For some reason my Dad thought it'd be fine letting a small child watch Alien. I was about 10 or some where around there. He seemed suprised when I was terrified :-P
 neilh 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Paul Robertson:

Me to it scared th eliving daylights out of me when I was young
In reply to adventure_vulture:
> (In reply to Denni) the moomins

Me too. Not so much the Moomins them selves, more the slighlty sinisister feeling of the whole cartoon. That girl in red was horrible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...