UKC

Winter climbing conditions Northern Highlands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveAnderson 03 Feb 2013
Anyone know if there's any winter routes to be had currently in the Northern Highlands i.e. conditions are favourable enough?
We're off to Ullapool Thursday for 4-5 days? I've heard there are a few routes on Ben Dearg and An Teallach? Help appreciated
 Steve Perry 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft: The weather in the far north right now is very high winds on the mountains. I saw lots of fresh snow on Ben Hope/Loyal yesterday, when most had gone before the gales started. MWIS are still forecasting heavy winds up until Tues.
 James Edwards 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft:
Lots of snow around the fannichs. Significant danger on several aspects up high with windslab.. Very windy today and best to watch the wind direction and temperature and precip on the forecast. The basic bbc one has this as does mwis
OP DaveAnderson 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft: cheers guys very helpful! So no-ones actually doing any routes at all in the area, not necessarily right now in the high winds?
 James Edwards 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft:
No. Lots of routes are probably being done in lots of places. It's just that most people either aren't on ukc, haven't read your thread, don't log their climbs or all of the above.
James e
 KA 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft: Plenty going on, East and Central Buttresses on Being Eighe and George and Poachers Fall on Liathach have all been climbed in the past couple of days. I was on Access Gully on Fuar Tholl today, which was fine, with more secure snow/ice on the steeper bits. Otherwise snow is very soft and wet.
OP DaveAnderson 03 Feb 2013
In reply to glidesoft: Coool just what I wanted, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...