UKC

TV for 400 and under

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bonzkars 03 Feb 2013
The thought of spending days examining reviews fills me with dread. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Hoping the collective knowledge of UKC can help me!

The TV is for movie watching, and will also be used to connect to my laptop for film editing. It will probably live on my desk, so I certainly don't want a monster, around 32 inch mark. Not interested in any 3D malarky, and can't say i'm particularly enamoured with anything shiny. .

Please help and send me your suggestions.

thanks..
 Philip 03 Feb 2013
I have 32 in my sitting room. Samsung. My research at the time led to Sony or Samsung. Samsung had nicer bezel. They also did full HD at 32 inch unlike others.

I ignored all the 3d fad and bollocks.
OP Bonzkars 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Philip: My flatmate suggested I go for Samsun over Sony, more bang for your buck. 2 x same suggestion usually means something.
 lost1977 03 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:

lots of choice at that budget, this is what i bought about 18 months ago which is well below your budget

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32BL502B-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00...

given the option i would have gone for full HD but my budget was noticeably lower than yours.

would probably buy from a real shop where you can see it properly rather than online
 icnoble 03 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka: it is worth getting a smart tv.
 Fluvial 03 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:

LG are generally good and for the smaller sizes Philips - Would agree defo go 1080HD

Personally I'd buy it from John Lewis since they start with a 5yr garauntee always buy my tellies from them and the costs are fine.
I think to be honest its what everyone else said
Samsung, SOny and for the shout LG (Ease of use) Philips (I have both of these go smart and try to get them HD freeview

BTW I have a 3D TV bought this crimbo its ok pretty impressive -though not worth the difference in price
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:

When in the market for a new TV I go a look at them (John Lewis) from the approx distance I will at home, and choose the one with the best picture.

Chris
 Sam_in_Leeds 03 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:

I've got this one and it's fab.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JURCMS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&a...

Although tbh I'm not sure if the smart bit was worth the extra £80 over this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE32EH5000-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B...
 quirky 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: what actually does the smart bit do?? can you use internet or watch i player or do you need to plug something into it??
 another_mark 04 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:

http://www.richersounds.com/

Pop into your local store. They do a 5 year warranty for 10% of purchase cost.

Mostly end of line models so you get the previous model at a substantial discount.

On the whole staff know their stuff and can give decent advice.

steve taylor 04 Feb 2013
In reply to quirky:

Plug it into the internet, and you'll get iplayer, itvplayer, Lovefilm etc all controllable through the TV remote.

We connect ours to the router through a power-line adapter. Alternatively you can get a wifi adapter for the telly, but these can be pricey. If you're lucky enough to have you router near the TV, just connect them to each other with an ethernet cable.

We have the Samsung UE40ES5500 - it's excellent. I'm sure the 32-inch version is also good.
OP Bonzkars 04 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka:
Thanks all, plenty to chew on there. I hate shopping.

I'm funding this by selling my iMac - so if anyone is in the market for one do let me know and I'll send you spec.
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2013
In reply to steve taylor:
> (In reply to quirky)
>
> Plug it into the internet, and you'll get iplayer, itvplayer, Lovefilm etc all controllable through the TV remote.
>
> We connect ours to the router through a power-line adapter. Alternatively you can get a wifi adapter for the telly, but these can be pricey. If you're lucky enough to have you router near the TV, just connect them to each other with an ethernet cable.
>
> We have the Samsung UE40ES5500 - it's excellent. I'm sure the 32-inch version is also good.

I have the 32, it is excellent.

loopyone 07 Feb 2013
In reply to bonzka: we have 2 lg' s a 32 and a 42 . They are both smart tv's but we never use it as it's a bit fiddly. We had Samsung's before but they both packed up after 3 years and were repaired but they only lasted about 3 months longer after being repaired before they broke again.
In reply to The New NickB:

We've a Samsung 42" and it's pretty good for the money - £450 two years ago. We connect ours up to the home network via a power-line adapter as well.

To the OP: check that any TV you get is DNLA compliant. This lets you stream video from any server on your network to the TV. We have a dedicated external hard drive that any of the PCs tablets and TVs can access. However be aware that there are varying levels of DLNA compliance and while in theory everything should just work together, in practice you might have a bit of work to do.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...