UKC

Yorkshire Dales Gorge Scrambles/Canyoning?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tallsteve 03 Feb 2013
Yep, I'm off to the Dales with some teenagers, and I'm looking for a decent gorge scramble or canyoning route to get them interested (if I use the "walk" word we're doooomed). I know the lakes is nearby, but there must be a decent route in the Dales. We are likely to be on the West side near Settle/Ingleton, though a drive for a good route is always possible.

Not wanting to be too descriptive, but a few big jumps would be nice!

If you don't want to advertise your secret route on the very public web then please PM me.

Cheers!
Mausman. 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

Strans Gill is the only thing that springs to mind, Its about grade 2 with a pitch of diff climbing which is easily avoidable. I did it during a dry spell so there was almost no water at all in it.

Its near the village of hubberholme in wharfedale. A search will give you grid ref etc. The walk in is a piece of cake aswell, Have fun!

OP tallsteve 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:
Looks good. Thanks!
 Andy Syme 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve: Goredale Scar (up or down) and Malaham are always a great route.

I have done Goredale in all weathers and with kids, dogs and on my own. Great fun and looks far more impressive and difficult than it is.
 dunnyg 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve: There are a few listed in the back of the newest yorkshire limestone guidebook.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

Will you have wetsuits?
 MHutch 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

How Stean Gorge has scrambling/canyoning - but you can't just rock up and have free fun, so will probably not be what you're looking for.
 Gavin 04 Feb 2013
In reply to MHutch:

What about Ease Gill? This has a few interesting bits if you do the full length from the caving hut upwards and includes a short pitch, traversing above pools and a 'cave' behind a waterfall that'll you'll benefit from the use of headtorches to see where you're going.

Gavin
OP tallsteve 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador:
We can have a wet suit - we particularly like the wet stuff.
OP tallsteve 04 Feb 2013
In reply to dunnyg:
Sadly I don't yet have the latest Yorkshire guide book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...