UKC

I had fish tacos for dinner. The fish was Tilapia. Discuss

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adstapleton 03 Feb 2013
Tonight's dinner was fish tacos. Stumbled across Tilapia at the monger's (who am I kidding? Sainsbury's fish counter), reasonably priced at £1.60 for a decent sized couple of fillets.

Dry rubbed with cumin, coriander, fried and flaked, served on warmed, mini tortillas with a home made salsa of tomato, onion, cucumber and coriander, with chipotle mayo and ketchup.

Stick ya Sunday roast up yer arse! Unless you really like your Sunday roasts.
 DaveHK 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

Did it come from a sustainable fishery?
 Blue Straggler 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

What do you want us to discuss? I was hoping for some sort of ethical dilemma, but all you're giving us is some strange sort of smugness as if you've discovered something that nobody has tried to eat before.
Is there something special about Tilapia, that you have forgotten to tell us?
 ripper 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton: Could be wrong but I think tilapia is farmed on a pretty large scale in the far east - Vietman maybe? bit like the frozen Basa fillets that Aldi sells - cheaper than Cod, probably more sustainable, but must admit I don't know a lot about the environmental impact of the farming.
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

Poncy posh git. What's wrong with a bit o' cod?
OP adstapleton 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

Discuss whateva you want innit?

I can't work out if the Tilapia was sustainably sourced - Internet says a lot about how they're easy to farm with minimal environmental impact. Doesn't necessarily mean that sainsbury's source is sustainable though.

Hopefully it's sustainable as I'd like to eat it again and get more fish in my diet without extincting something.
 DaveHK 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:
> (In reply to adstapleton)
>
> extincting

That's a great word.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton: Who put the cum in the fish?
 ianstevens 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Poncy posh git. What's wrong with a bit o' cod?

It's in rapid population decline as a result of overfishing, relatively expensive and tastes shite.
OP adstapleton 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Poncy posh git. What's wrong with a bit o' cod?

Cod is ruuuuuuubbbbbish!

And wouldn't have worked in this recipe i don't think. And has about as much flavour as tofu.
 Deviant 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ripper:

I saw a doucumentary about fish farming in Vietnam. The fish were in pens under the house-boats. Only problem is, all the shit was thrown directly into the river..............
 sargy 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Deviant:
A lot of communities around the world feed fish on human waste to fatten them up. Quite popular with tribes in the Amazon!
 Nic DW 03 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

Ok, i shall add my knowledge of odd Mexican based cooking. Black pudding makes excellent fajitas. Stornoway even better. Try it!
 Deviant 03 Feb 2013
In reply to sargy:

The predicted problems of feeding the ever increasing World population probably means we'll all end up eating "recycled human waste".

Soylent Green anyone ?
In reply to adstapleton: Tilapia are a poor source of omega 3 unfortunately.
OP adstapleton 04 Feb 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Omega 3 is massively overrated. Google it.
In reply to adstapleton: Googled it, learned no such thing.
 Dauphin 04 Feb 2013
In reply to sargy:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN! Apocalyptic Mighty Morphin Ass Tilapia. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase bottom feeders.

D
Rigid Raider 04 Feb 2013
In reply to adstapleton:

During the Rwanda war sales of Tilapia caught in Lake Victoria plummeted when people saw pictures of dead Rwandans floating in the lake.
 jkarran 04 Feb 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Isn't Tilapia extensively farmed, not least as a profitable by-product of the sewage treatment process. It is rather tasty.

kj

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...