UKC

slightly strange bike question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 03 Feb 2013
did a little maintenance on the fixie and its the first time i have done bike work with hearing aids on, with them off my chain is silent but on its a bit noisy kind of gritty sound.

how quite is a chain supposed to be (its possible this is just because i've never heard a chain properly before)
 Taurig 03 Feb 2013
In reply to lost1977:

Hmm, it's definitely not silent, sort of a mechanical whirring, but gritty sound suggests grit! Get to work with a chain cleaner if you have one.
OP lost1977 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:

thats kind of what i suspected
 ti_pin_man 04 Feb 2013
In reply to lost1977: Theres an old roadie motif that rings true, a clean bike is a happy bike... thus a clean chain is a happy chain. Usually wd40 and a dry cloth will help remove the grit and dirt if you dont have a chain bath device thing and then some proper chain lub applied whilst turning the cranks, allegedly the trick is to oil into the middle of the chain from above and not just coat everything.. then leave it for a few seconds and remove excess oil. Excess oil will pick up more dirt and grit and compound the problem. Job done.
 MHutch 04 Feb 2013
In reply to lost1977:

I use a bit of Gt85, wipe it down with a rag, then lube it overnight, before giving it a final wipe before a ride. It's amazing how much crud comes out of a seemingly shiny chain.
 the power 04 Feb 2013
In reply to lost1977: turn your hearing aids off.problem solved

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...