UKC

Next steps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chrismith 04 Feb 2013
Hi there,
Im not particularly sure which section to put this in as i guess it relates to a few, and that I hope this dosent get asked daily as I have been looking about to find similar topics, but anyway.

Ive been brought up in the hills and have been walking/climbing munros in summer and winter since I was about 10 (27 now) and have always loved it (thanks to my dad). I also live in the highlands so I have easy access and no excuses.

Over the past while ive had a huge interest in winter graded climbing, and I want to persue this into high grade climbing in the future as I have alot of ambitions. At the moment however I can only do grade I / II gullies really as I dont know the first thing about ropework etc and that none of my mates are into the mountains like I am, they just go to the pub, so I am at a complete loss as to where to start, or even how to find climbing partners.

I am keen, fit and an experienced hillwalker just looking for a window to start my new climbing hobby, does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, perhaps paying for some professional tuition or trying to join a club etc?

I would be very greatful for any responses,
Thanks!
 tlm 04 Feb 2013
In reply to n.LiVE:

Where abouts do you live?

Here's one way of finding climbing clubs near to you:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/map#clubs,huts
OP Chrismith 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tlm: I live about 15 miles west of Inverness. Currently though I am in Glasgow untill mid march due to work courses.
I will give them a try, I did look last night but it seemes to be mostly just hillwalking clubs around my area. To be honest it dosent need to be in my area, anywhere is good, just looking for an active winter climbing club that dont mind helping new guys out.

tlm 04 Feb 2013
In reply to n.LiVE:

You could also try filling out your profile a bit and advertising in lifts and partners on here?
OP Chrismith 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tlm: Thanks very much for your suggestions, it is appreciated. I will give that a shot, my only concern with asking for partners is the fact that I would be a total novice with anything involving ropework above gradeI/II gullies really so I guessed why would anyone want to pair up with someone like that.

Perhaps its a good idea for me to invest in some professional 1on1 tuition!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...