UKC

Fixed match, what you betting on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Notice it was the bloody Asians in charge again. (Indian cricket)
 Cameron94 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> Notice it was the bloody Asians in charge again. (Indian cricket)

That's a controversial way to put it.
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Isn't it just, but true.
 Dauphin 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Al what makes you think all professional sport is not affected by this? Asian or otherwise.

D
 Kimono 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> Notice it was the bloody Asians in charge again

Have we stepped into an episode of love thy neighbour?

jeez....

OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Dauphin: Nothing, I'm not naieve, I was actually alive and supporting football when the scandal of Sheffield Wednesdays bribe scandal, it was particularly shocking because some of the players were my mates heroe (not mine I support Sheff U) but more so because Peter Swan was playing for England at the time, and Tony Kay was being tipped to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> [...]
>
> Have we stepped into an episode of love thy neighbour?
>
> jeez....

I only said that because it comes on the back of the Indian Cricket fixing scandal.
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Anyhow we have got off the point of the post, this betting ring IS being controlled by an Asian group of co-conspiritors, but I was asking the question,what English game do you think was fixed?
 GrahamD 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I can proudly state that my team Birmingham City are innocent of any Champions League wrong doing
 GrahamD 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

......Despite there being a lot of Asians in Birmingham
 Philip 04 Feb 2013
Is any surprised that Football matches are rigged? It's not that far off wrestling in terms of entertainment vs sport.
 Frank4short 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans: So let's see a little under 4 billion people live in Asia which is over half of the world's 7 billion odd population. Hang on for the second time there's an investigation into match rigging which has apparently originated in Asia. So it's the bloody Asians at it again. Way to tar over half of the world's population with some good old fashioned xenophobia there Al, and that's putting it politely.
cb294 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Frank4short:

The population statistics are unfortunately beside the point.

The bizarre amount of money that is bet on the outcome of completely irrelevant sporting events is clearly an Asian phenomenon. Not surprisingly, betting associated crime follows that pattern.

Noone really cares about the outcome or scoring order of a German fifth league match, which makes these games such good targets for match fixing. Compared with the sums that are being bet on such events (and the main volume is mostly Asian in origin) the amounts required to fix such matches are only peanuts.

Anyway, I wonder how much of the legal betting is actually money laundering.

To the OP: What about ManU-Basel? Doesn´t really fit the pattern outlined above, but still...

CB
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Al Evans) So let's see a little under 4 billion people live in Asia which is over half of the world's 7 billion odd population. Hang on for the second time there's an investigation into match rigging which has apparently originated in Asia. So it's the bloody Asians at it again. Way to tar over half of the world's population with some good old fashioned xenophobia there Al, and that's putting it politely.

For Christs sake piss off going on about my minor Asian comment, it was just a follow on from the Indian cricket fixing, this thread is not or wasn't supposed to be about Asian bashing, I happen to have a lot of very good Asian friends. Though I hope very few match fixing ones.
Removed User 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Al Evans) So let's see a little under 4 billion people live in Asia which is over half of the world's 7 billion odd population. Hang on for the second time there's an investigation into match rigging which has apparently originated in Asia.

I recall that double murder of the pair of Chinese students in England a couple of years. Turned out they were involved in a Chinese betting scam.

> So it's the bloody Asians at it again.

Well yes, it does seem to be the case. Of course horse racing in this country has always been dodgy to the put of needing your examined if you were betting serious money on anything but the top races.

> Way to tar over half of the world's population with some good old fashioned xenophobia there Al, and that's putting it politely.

I wouldn't have interpreted his post in that way.
 winhill 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I was always suspicious when Liverpool came back from 3 nil down in 2005, now it suddenly makes sense.
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill: At last a sensible and relevant answer.
 Kelcat 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Right what we need to do is immediately dock every team that's played in the Champions League in the last year, say, 20points. WOOHOO - Norwich are gonna stay up!
In reply to Al Evans: How many times did Bruce Grobelaar throw the ball into his own net?
 Styx 04 Feb 2013
I heard earlier today on TalkAdvertsandalittlebitofSport that it was a game played "3-4" years ago which narrows things down a little bit. Still no idea, mind.
 Ramblin dave 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to Al Evans) How many times did Bruce Grobelaar throw the ball into his own net?

Bloody saffers...
In reply to Al Evans:
I don't know if this is relevant, but referees have got to be the most vulnerable people involved in matches. They earn a fraction of the money paid to the players and yet they can make the most crucial decisions.
Some must be under pressure from betting syndicates
 GrahamD 04 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill:

Its indicating a match played in England, though. My money would be on a dead rubber game at the end of the pool stage.
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to Al Evans) How many times did Bruce Grobelaar throw the ball into his own net?

Well Gary Sprake wouldn't have a leg to stand on
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to I like climbing:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> I don't know if this is relevant, but referees have got to be the most vulnerable people involved in matches. They earn a fraction of the money paid to the players and yet they can make the most crucial decisions.
> Some must be under pressure from betting syndicates

Very good point, especially considering their reluctance to allow TV evidence like many sports now do.
In reply to Al Evans:
You're right - if TV evidence was used it could make it more difficult for dodgy decisions to take place.

Also, if there was more secrecy over who the matche officials were going to be that would help and maybe also notify the match officials very close to the game as to which game they were going to be at.....
 GrahamD 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> .... especially considering their reluctance to allow TV evidence like many sports now do.

Football is one of the most- if not THE most - videoed and openly televised sport open to daily (and ad nauseum) analysis, isn't it ? I don't think lack of video evidence can be attributed to match fixing scams. Whatever goes on is under the full glare of the cameras and the press and must just fall within the expected norms of a game.
OP Al Evans 04 Feb 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Well yes, but there have been occaisions where it was not even in doubt to the naked eye that a ball crossed the line even before seeing the playback. What was that case where the ball hit the back stanchion, so a good 3 or 4 feet over the line and bounced back out, I'm surprised the manager, was it Warnock? Didn't have a heart attack it was so obvious.
In reply to Al Evans:

> Notice it was the bloody Asians in charge again. (Indian cricket)

A report has been forwarded to the PC police, for your daring to say something not nice about a not white person, expect a knock on the door.

Cthulhu 05 Feb 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> [...]
>
> A report has been forwarded to the PC police, for your daring to say something not nice about a not white person, expect a knock on the door.

Sigh. Hardly a case of "PC gone mad", rather our favourite Alf Garnett impersonator showing his true colours again. The crime syndicate implicated here is Singaporean, not Indian. They worked in concert with European crime gangs.

To tie that in with the Indian cricket fixing IS racist. It implies that all Asians are one homogenous mass. It ignores the role of European, WHITE criminals (bear in mind that the players and match officials are also part of the crime). It implies that ALL Asians are complicit.

I don't believe that Al is racist. I do believe that he's a bit socially unaware. Maybe it's a generational thing. Like an embarrassingly dotty old uncle, we can forgive him, but we should not condone his gaffes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...