UKC

"shunt" for para cord

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rallymania 04 Feb 2013
working through an idea for a moveable camera mount for climbing

thought about a length of para cord suspended next to a route (requires pre placing obviously)

then something like a gopro mounted on a hollow pole with the paracord threaded through it. gopro on the high side of the pole and a oneway brake at the bottom. it needs to be able to be moved easily upwards but stop as soon as it tries to decend... and needs to be operable with very little upward pressure (i'm thinking being able to launch the pole maybe 5 meters upwards at a time) the pole may also need to have "wheels" or similar to keep it orientated correctly against the rock, haven't figured that part out yet

anyone got any sneaky suggestions?

cheers
 jimtitt 04 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania:
Surely on anything worth filming (or that I´d bother watching to put it another way) it´s going to be so overhanging it won´t work anyway?
 muppetfilter 04 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania: How about a sailing cleat 2-6mm , also two lines side by side like tracks could be used to give stability.

http://www.cleatsandblocks.co.uk/allen-a677.html
 IPPurewater 04 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania: Could you use a Prusik knot of some type ?
 getandy 04 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt: sorry jimtitt but previous comment says a lot about your climbing me thinks. makes the implication that anything worthy of climbing is overhanging?!?!? whatever happened to technical and slabby? if you really believe that check out kevin jorgesons ascent of equilibrium. that should cure you. if you dont believe it stop being a troll!!!
OP rallymania 05 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
jim, i'm not a professional film director, what i do is for a bit of fun with me and my mates.

wrt to your overhanging comment, this is only a problem with massive roofs not generally steep crags, as tension on the para line can allow for an overhang

In reply to muppetfilter:

good suggestion, from there i've had a few ideas that need testing

thanks
In reply to IPPurewater:

i'd though about that, but i wnat to be able to push the camera rod several meters in one push. i think i prussik would be too keen to just stop as soon as you let go of it.... i'm looking for the rod to slide up the line a fair bit and then stop when it runs out of momentum

all suggestions appreciated though, thanks!
 muppetfilter 05 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania: How about turning your idea on its head, fix twobig loops to the camera and tension them up with small pulleys top and bottom (they cost a few quid at a chandlers). that way if you fix the camera in place on the cord you can pull down on one side of the cords and the camera will ascend..... Think "pullcord for roller blinds"
In reply to muppetfilter:

yep that's also in the design phase at "climbing cam towers" lol

i think that needs a balance weight on the "down" side to balance the camera on the "up" side?

Wry Spudding 12 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania: Similar idea to muppetfilter above but using Clamcleat Line Loks (a bit cheaper).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...