UKC

tips to winter pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Duarte 05 Feb 2013
I need to buy winter pants to use in mountain conditions at low altitude and treking with some snow.
I was thinking about the Trangoworld Kato Pants Dryskin
Any opinions??
 CurlyStevo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte:
Decathalon / simmond do some very nice ones for £39.99 try searching this website.
Duarte 05 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: I will see if they have my size...
do you have any information about the trangoworld kato ? Are they winter pants?
Thank you
 CurlyStevo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte:
look like general mountaineering troos, probably OK for Winter, but 4 times the price of the simmond ones!
 GrahamD 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte:

The conditions you describe sound like standard UK winter walking conditions. Any reasonable weight walking trousers will do.
 CurlyStevo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
Thats true, decathalon / simmond also do a thinner soft shell trouser for £39.99 but they aren't as wind proof or water resistant. That said I've found most thinner ones I've tried so far aren't either.
 Puppythedog 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte: second the simond mountain trouser 40 quid. absolutely brilliant and much cheaper than other brands. I cannot find fault with the quality of mine. If for walking and not use with crampons maybe another softshell trouser but you'll be had pressed to find cheaper and I have no concerns with quality.
 GridNorth 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte: I've just used the £39.99 Simond ones for a weeks ice climbing in the alps. Excellent value for money.
Duarte 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Duarte: I think I wil go by the shop and see those pants.
Thank you
In reply to Duarte: Big +1 for the Simmonds I picked a pair up for my mate last month I tried them on as were roughly
Similar in size, great fit was amazed at how good they were for £40 bangers. I would have picked a pair up myself if I hadnt already invested in a pair of M.e G2 and Arc Gamma SK pants.be smart and save yourself a £100! And u won't feel so bad wen u harpoon them with our plans and u will ;,)
 Dan_S 05 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> Thats true, decathalon / simmond also do a thinner soft shell trouser for £39.99 but they aren't as wind proof or water resistant. That said I've found most thinner ones I've tried so far aren't either.

Assuming you're comparing the Quechua Bionassay/Simmond Mountaineering trousers vs the Forclaz 900, I don't think decathlon claim it's a "softshell" type garment (and I appreciate there is a debate on what actually classifies as a softshell) so the suggestion that it isn't windproof/water resistant is a little unfair, as it's just a fairly standard pair of walking trousers.

A better comparison would be the Bionassay/Mountaineering trousers vs the Simmond alpinism light (which are £50), which are made from a "softshell" material that is as windproof/water resistant as the Mountaineering trousers, but less insulating due to the lighter weight fabric.

The Simmond Mountaineering trousers are cracking value though.
 GrahamD 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan_S:

Its not clear from the OP that they need anything other than walking trousers. For trekking 'soft shell pants' (?!) would be too warm for most people.
 CurlyStevo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan_S:
OK when I bought them I did think they were softshell, perhaps not then they are certainly constructed in a similar way.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'd certainly classify the Simond/Quechua Mountaineering pants as soft shell. In particular, they are a 4-way stretch, dual weave non-membraned soft shell; proper soft shell, if you like...

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

Sadly, they're no longer stocked in my local (Reading) branch.

As for the OP, I'd suggest lightweight walking trousers of any variety, with base layer legging underneath as necessary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...