UKC

open office files

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 05 Feb 2013
quick dumbo it question. Is there a way to open .odt files in word 2003 without the faff of downloading open office?

Ta muchly
 gingerwolf 05 Feb 2013
In reply to toad: Not that I'm aware of - the best option is to save the original file as a .doc file when using it in Open Office
 Hairy Pete 05 Feb 2013
In reply to toad: I believe the Open Office files are stored as compressed XML. So if you can find a way to unzip the odt file (gzip - I think) you end up with an XML file which is supposed to be the basis for docx files. But I've never tried it!
In reply to toad:

Microsoft don't play well with others' formats

Typing the following "converting odt to doc" in to a well known search engine gives a few on-line conversion utilities.

ALC
OP toad 05 Feb 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: thanks all. I'd tried a quick search and though there must be some glaringly obvious fix I'd overlooked. I can download OO, but it'll wait
Sarah G 05 Feb 2013
In reply to toad:
It's an absolute chew at my workplace- I have to send the stuff home and use my own laptop to convert them because my workplace are too mean to pay for a commercial licence for OO and I can't download executable files. I often have to email people back to ask if they can provide the file in a word format, and if not, it either doesnlt get to play at all or I have to fanny about at home once I get in.

Grr!

Sx
 hokkyokusei 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Sarah G:

> It's an absolute chew at my workplace- I have to send the stuff home and use my own laptop to convert them because my workplace are too mean to pay for a commercial licence for OO and I can't download executable files.

You don't need a license for commercial use of Open Office:
http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/mostfaqs.html#1
or LibreOffice:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/license/
 geebus 05 Feb 2013
Google drive lets you import the open office file format apparantly.
Once you've got it imported, you should be able to 'download as' MS Word format.
KevinD 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Sarah G:

as per geebus you can use google online docs to convert it.
However your company might have something to say about that from a data protection stance (although they should have the same to say about taking it home).
Newer versions of word, 2007 up can convert most varieties i believe.
OP toad 06 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to Sarah G)
>

> Newer versions of word, 2007 up can convert most varieties i believe.

I wondered if this was the case. I've got someone to e-mail me a word version, but I resent forking out for my own copy of 2007 when 2003 works fine

Puma 06 Feb 2013
In reply to toad: you can install the sun odf plugin then open files directly in office.
Sarah G 06 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to Sarah G)
>
> as per geebus you can use google online docs to convert it.

ooh, I shall try that, many thanks.

> However your company might have something to say about that from a data protection stance (although they should have the same to say about taking it home).

Least said soonest mended although that is exactly what the IT helpdesk suggested i do!

> Newer versions of word, 2007 up can convert most varieties i believe.

Still suck with word 2003 here, sadly. Again, the Trust sees no reason to upgrade. We're still running IE7 as well, on the basis that some Trust systems aren't compatible with IE9. Every day, bits of the internet are being lost to us ;(
Sxx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...