UKC

Lundy - What Month

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

We're planning a club trip over to Lundy again later this year, and were wondering about the best times of year to go. Last time we went it was in August, and the weather was brilliant, but I think it's problematic for people this year, so we're looking at either September or early October.

Can anyone offer advice as to what the weather's likely to be like in sept/oct? I know it can't be predicted, but have people climbed that late in the year and found it to be reliable enough?

Cheers,

CB
 The Pylon King 06 Feb 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC):

Its probably likely to be better weather than in August.
 GrahamD 06 Feb 2013

I've been to Lundy 3 times in early September and had good weather every time
 Ava Adore 06 Feb 2013

Went in June and it was unstable - glorious sunshine at the beginning, blowing a hoolie by the end
 Fatclimber 06 Feb 2013

I've been to Lundy 3 times in early September and had poor weather every time. However I still believe it is the best time, so thats when I will be going this year.

Carless 06 Feb 2013

I've had 4 separate weeks all in early-mid Sept

Half a days rain in those 4 weeks
 summo 06 Feb 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): what month yes, but more critical which lunar cycle. Look at the tide times and see when low tide is around midday to early afternoon etc. You'll get more hassle free climbing done if you don't have an incoming tide clipping your heals up routes, although it is an incentive for the 2nd to climb to strip gear faster!
 summo 06 Feb 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): extra - not sure as it's been a year or two, but after any nesting restrictions too is better.
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): good advice re: lunar cycle...seems its tricky to find tide times this far in advance, but for other folks, here's a useful website:
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/tides/315/uk-tables/lundy-tide-tables
 summo 06 Feb 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): don't tell everyone otherwise the accommodation there will book up before you get it!!
 alan moore 07 Feb 2013
Weather forcasting really hasn't reached that level of sophistication. Autumn is a beautiful time of year there. September is when the harvest mite infestation peaks. It's also when 99% of climbers turn up.
 london_huddy 07 Feb 2013

September.

-Many routes are dirty in August just after the ban
-Weather is generally better
-South facing routes aren't as baking
-Sea is slightly warmer (at the beginning of the month, at least)

Owen W-G 07 Feb 2013
I went first week in September and had dream weather for most of the week.
The crossing was gnarly though, both ways

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...