UKC

Big Seas in the Far North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 06 Feb 2013
The seas in the far north can be very impressive but nothing can match this past week.
Here's a short vid I've made for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0OLd0Ao5uQ&feature=youtu.be

The news up here is reporting a 50ft wave having hit the lighthouse on Fair Isle, here's a link to the damage there.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/02/05/destructive-waves-were-biggest-in...

A wave rider off Orkney was reading 6 metre swells and Durness lifeboat station apparently reported swells off their scales. It's been good fun watching from the safety of the shore.
 abr1966 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: Impressive...! I came back from Shetland to Aberdeen on the Northlink ferry last Tues evening...big seas and 80 mph winds....I seriously couldn't walk straight for 2 full days afterwards!
OP Steve Perry 06 Feb 2013
In reply to abr1966: You were lucky to sail by the sounds.
 abr1966 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: Took best part of 14 hours....including a slow spell on the lee side of one of the Orkney Isles to fix the damaged stabilisers.....thinking I'll fly next time!

I loved the place though....made it up to Muckle Flugga on the Monday and was very impressed!
 toad 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: I think that's just swell.
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Steve Perry) I think that's just swell.

Boom, Boom!

drmarten 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
It can get very rough up there, while at sea the biggest seas I encountered were in the South Atlantic, followed by the Pentland Firth. I used to love it although we were flung all over the place and there was always something not secured that got smashed or broken. You got to trust your ship - she will come back up again.I never got sick but it was hard to sleep and I didn't have much appetite. I found this video recently on youtube which fair got me hankering for my youth.
youtube.com/watch?v=pHiDaeShxt0&
In reply to drmarten: I've seen that before it's pretty awesome.
Douglas Griffin 07 Feb 2013
OP Steve Perry 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I hadn't no, thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...