UKC

CD's - storage of

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 06 Feb 2013
I have several hundred CD's which, to be honest, I don't play all that much due to the majority of them having been copied to my PC hard-drive and played through iTunes/iPod.
The problem is, they take up a lot of shelf space and as I'm loathe to get rid of them, I'd like ideas on how to store them in such a way that they're *fairly* accessible if I want to dip in to them (ie, for the car), yet pretty much inconspicuous.
I've tried shoe-boxes etc but was looking for something a bit more uniform and generally tidier-looking.

Basically, open to any suggestions...

Cheers!
 Jackwd 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno: A coffee table with storage underneath? Practical and space-saving.
naomiB 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:
I have loads of CDs and needed somewhere to put them all so I got one of those silver dj's cases (like a metal suitcase). You can get various sizes and if you have the time and and want to make the effort the case comes with little sleeves for the cds and the covers can go in there too (so you can keep the ones which have the words to sing along). I think i got mine from Maplins, it was a while ago so can't remember how much it cost.
the real slim shady 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno: what about something like this??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Storage-Wallet-Massive-Capacity/dp/B004CYR1...

although you would need to get rid of the cases so maybe not the best for in the car.

HTH
OP Glyno 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Jack, thanks for the idea but I think 500 CD's might struggle to fit under our coffee table

Naomi, I hadn't thought of Maplins despite them being 10 mins from me - will pop in for a look, thanks.
OP Glyno 06 Feb 2013
In reply to fly:

Have looked at similar but I'm reluctant to ditch the cases, it might come to that however with the cases/booklets boxed and stored in the loft or somewhere.
Jim C 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:
I never thought people would end up complaining about the space cd's take up.
It was vinyl in my day, and a music fans collection, would fill a room back then.
OP Glyno 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Jim C:

It was vinyl in my day too.
I just think CD cases look uglier on a shelf.
 ThunderCat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to fly:
> (In reply to Glyno) what about something like this??
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Storage-Wallet-Massive-Capacity/dp/B004CYR1...
>
> although you would need to get rid of the cases so maybe not the best for in the car.
>
> HTH

The missus went with one of these for all of our CD's and although (for some reason) I was reluctant to lose the cases, I don't really miss them and now everything is stored on two or three of these.

In terms of the car, she also bought a couple of sleeves which hold about 20 CD's each, and fit behind the sun visor, which I thought was quite a good idea?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Sun-visor-CD-holder-holds/dp/B003XG8D3O

OP Glyno 07 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Its not so much the cases I'm that fussed about losing as I could still keep the booklet, it's the fact that they have the back inlay card which more often than not is where the track listing is.
 Timmd 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:My dad uses a chest of drawers to store his in. He has quite a lot.
 Muel 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Move with the times! Just rip them all to a media server, then sell them on. If you could get £2-4 back for each one, when you have 500 of them, that's a lot of money to be storing away somewhere...
OP Glyno 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Muel:

...apart from the fact that I play CD's in my car, I couldn't bear to sever links with (and albeit occasional use of) my 30 year old separates system.
Sarah G 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:
The back inlay card can easily be removed from the case and stashed with the booklet.

Sx
New POD 07 Feb 2013
My records (all 12 inch) live in the lounge next to the stereogram.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...