UKC

Could You Retire Right Now With £600K

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 08 Feb 2013
It's just 1 weeks wages to this man;

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/spanish-liga-messi-signs-2018-barcelona-...

Greatest ever player...probably, worth that much...errr?
fxceltic 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: yes I probably could, but not if it were taxed, which it would be, ENORMOUSLY.
nickyrannoch 08 Feb 2013
In reply to fxceltic:

Im torn between being disgusted at a footballers and wage and on the other hand having a grudging respect that it is one of the few industries where the workers on the shopfloor see a decent return for the capital they actually generate.
 Ava Adore 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

Yes.

Please.
fxceltic 08 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> Im torn between being disgusted at a footballers and wage and on the other hand having a grudging respect that it is one of the few industries where the workers on the shopfloor see a decent return for the capital they actually generate.

indeed, I dont really have a problem with it but for 2 caveats

1) the footballer isnt allowed to be a total arsehole all the time
2) I'd prefer them be paid a little less and the cost of attending matches not so high.
In reply to Steve Perry: No way. lets say you got 4% return ..£24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.

Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left
 Reach>Talent 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
I'd have thought you could turn 600k into about 40k a year of rental income with properties near universities?
 Ed Navigante 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

I would, and I have a good 45 years of work ahead of me :s
then again, say I live to 80, that's £10,000ish a year, I would end up living like a student for the rest of my life!
OP Steve Perry 08 Feb 2013
>
> Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left

Same here, it would certainly help though, a lot!

OP Steve Perry 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante:
> (In reply to Steve Perry)
>
> I would end up living like a student for the rest of my life!

Or a climber

Ed Navigante 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to ERH)
> [...]
>
> Or a climber

It's posts like this which make me wish UKC had a "like" button
In reply to Reach>Talent: You could be right, although I didn't envisage my retirement as fixing boilers and washing machines in tatty student digs
 Ciro 08 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Steve Perry) No way. lets say you got 4% return ..£24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.
>
> Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left

£24k a year to buy a small plot of undeveloped land in catalunia, build a house, and retire to pottering around in a beat up van looking for new crags and pretending to be Chris Sharma?

I'd retire on that in a heartbeat.
 robal 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: nope sorry, my retirement figure is £7,000,000. 600K wont cut it.....
 Gudrun 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

His weekly wage could pay 2000 people £300 each week.
2000 families or 1 super rich man.
yeah it's a tough one.
 summo 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: easily retire, or at least a change of lifestyle where the hobby job feels like retirement. Small eco home to live in, build another 1 or 2 to rent out, for an inflation beating income. No point in relying on annuities or interest rates to maintain the lump sum or provide you with an income.
 owlart 08 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Steve Perry) No way. lets say you got 4% return ..£24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.
>

£24k a year, pre tax, looks very very inviting from where I'm standing! It's certainly a hell of a lot more than I'm getting at present!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...