UKC

Finnish wilderness huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
geoff s 08 Feb 2013
We're off to Norway / Finland in March and it will be the first time we've used the Finnish open huts (ie the free ones).
We're using the ones between Kilpisjarvi and Reisedalen.
Anybody know the likely situation re fuel, stoves etc in these huts ?
Any advice welcome. cheers Geoff
 AdCo82 08 Feb 2013
In reply to geoff s:

good question. I'm interested too. what
routes / activities are you doing?
geoff s 08 Feb 2013
In reply to geoff s:
we're ski touring in a west-east direction from the DNT hut Rostahytta via Kilpi. and finishing in Reisedalen.
Done first part of route before, great scenery.
DNT huts are brill but not sure about the Finnish ones - don't fancy turning up and finding no fuel etc.
 Dave 08 Feb 2013
In reply to geoff s:

The few I've looked in have had firewood and a stove and rough beds, but I've not been in the huts around Kilpisjärvi, in fact I didn't realise there were any there. It's possible some might just be open shelters 'kota' but maybe one of the Finns here will correct me.
Dave
 TobyA 08 Feb 2013
In reply to geoff s: Hendrik probably knows http://hikinginfinland.com/ and if he doesn't know about those precise huts, I'm sure he would know who you should ask.

The area around Kilpis is pretty well travelled. Lots of skiers and snowmobilers, so I imagine the huts are pretty organised.
 TobyA 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave: The ones I've seen in blog post and reports from trips up there are closer to the Norwegian model or a real 'house' than the kotas and lavvus down here in the southern forests. I guess with wild weather they are more necessary?
geoff s 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Toby
thanks for that link to Henrick - but am i being thick cos I can't see an e-mail or contact details for him ?
cheers
 HeMa 09 Feb 2013
In reply to geoff s:

He's hidden it rather well...

But look at the bottom of this page:
http://hikinginfinland.com/2013/02/new-gear-from-the-cottages-2013.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...