UKC

Fresh install windows 7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 09 Feb 2013
Here's the thing.

I have windows vista installed on a hard drive on my desktop.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to boot and the hard drive containing windows has been relegated to a second drive, the replacement primary drive is now running ubuntu.

I don't trust the old hard drive. I think it is on its way out and I wouldn't want to install anything new on it.

If I buy a new solid state drive, can I purchase an upgrade to windows 7 and install it on that, rather than have to buy a more expensive non upgrade version? How? Don't upgrades usually rely on an old version of windows being on the drive?

It's confusing all this is...
 The Lemming 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

Personally, I'd go for a fresh install of an OS rather than upgrading an older OS like Vista to Win 7.

I have no technical experience or reasons beyond my gut feeling that a fresh install will have lest potential future bugs.

A SSD and Win7 is awesome and well worth the expense of a SSD drive for the speed advantage.

Do you have access to a Windows 7 DVD?
OP Siward 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: no CD available, hence the question.

I seem to recall something about possession of a licence key allowing one to pay the cheaper upgrade price, rather than having to shell out for a fresh copy?
 The Lemming 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

You have mail.
 lost1977 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

win7 on an SSD is fast (i like)
 Alan Taylor 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward: What he said ^^^
 Ciro 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

You should be able to buy the SSD, re-install Vista, and then buy and install the upgrade - just watch out for product activation though. I finally gave up on windows when I tried to re-install vista, but because I'd upgraded the CPU at the same time as replacing the faulty hard drive it wouldn't accept the license key, and MS refused to supply a new one.

They made sure I wouldn't be buying another license off them - turns out Kubuntu's much better anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...