UKC

Selling Gold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 11 Feb 2013
I'm always a bit sceptical when I see these ads for places that offer cash for gold(one that comes to mind I think is called Ramsdens) I often feel that they are glorified pawnbrokers who will only give a very minimal amount for your item.

I've got a couple of gold signet rings(hallmarked), they have no family or sentimental value and I was thinking about selling them.

Just wondering if eBay is a better bet.
 jon 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Mrs J saw an ad last year for this. She searched around at home and got together a pile of gold coloured junk that had no sentimental value at all and headed off into Chamonix to sell it. I thought she'd come home with about 10 > 15€ at most. When she got back she handed me 450€!
In reply to mypyrex:

Get them valued at a jewellers first - they may be worth considerably more than the weighing in value.

ALC
OP mypyrex 11 Feb 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Get them valued at a jewellers first

Yes, thought of that a few min ago.

Thanks
ice.solo 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

have some fun and head down to the local underground chinese gambling den
 Philip 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I caught a bit of a consumer programme where they tried a few places and the postal ones were the worst.

It's a simple matter of weight if they have no value in the design. An honest jeweller will give you the weight. Then you only have to phone around for the best price per kg. Then take it in yourself.

As you're selling to someone who sells to someone, etc, etc until it gets to someone buying enough to actually melt it down you won't get the metal market price.

Do Johnson Matthey precious metals buy direct? We got a surprising payment when a member of staff retired and the Pt and Pd chemicals from an old project were cleared out and sent back to them.
 DNS 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I've used 'Hatton Garden Metals' before and mantioned them many times. Very straightforward with fair prices. I wouldn't touch the high-street shops, nor waste time on eBay personally.
 aln 11 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> have some fun and head down to the local underground chinese gambling den

Gold for opium? I'd try that.
 aln 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
>Ramsdens) I often feel that they are glorified pawnbrokers

They aren't "glorified", they are pawnbrokers. Along with Cash Converters etc. All doing well at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...